If you are suffering from vaginal prolapse and not responding to conservative treatment, you may benefit from vaginal prolapse surgery performed by our experienced gynaecologists at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital.
Why choose Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital for your vaginal prolapse surgery?
A vaginal prolapse is very common in women who have undergone a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus). This is because the uterus supports the top of your vagina. Other possible causes include childbirth and hormonal changes in the menopause. If your vaginal prolapse does not respond to conservative treatment, your consultant at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital may recommend vaginal prolapse surgery.
At Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital we pride ourselves on our excellent primary care service and staff professionalism. Our first-class hospital facilities have attracted a number of expert gynaecologists who regularly provide treatment that is transforming women's lives in Gloucestershire.
As a patient at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital, you will gain rapid access to gynaecological treatments, tests and scans. You will also receive any additional aftercare as part of your packaged price, this is part of our unique price promise to you.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital
If you are considering vaginal prolapse surgery, you will need to have a private consultation before proceeding with any treatment. Call our dedicated hospital enquiry team in Cheltenham today on 01242 807193, alternatively fill out a contact form and we will find you an appointment time that works for you.
What happens during vaginal prolapse surgery at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital?
- Vaginal prolapse surgery is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- In some cases it can be performed as laparoscopic surgery
- The length of the procedure will depend on the extent of your prolapse
- Your consultant will make incisions inside your vagina and strengthen the supporting tissues with stitches
- They may make repairs to both the back and front vaginal walls
- Additional supporting stitches may be needed may be needed at the top of your vagina or into your cervix
- In some cases surgical mesh may be used. Any wounds will be closed using dissolvable staples
- At the end of your procedure they may insert a catheter into your bladder to drain urine and your vagina may be packed with material to prevent bleeding. These will be removed in 1-2 days
- You may need to stay in our Cheltenham hospital for 3-5 days.
- You will be able to go home once you are able to move about confidently and you can pass urine with no problem.
Going home after your vaginal prolapse surgery in Cheltenham
- You will not be able to drive until release to do so by your consultant
- Please arrange for someone to take you home on your day of discharge
- You will need to rest and recover for several weeks.
- Take over the counter pain relief such as paracetamol as needed for any post-operative pain
- You may experience light vaginal bleeding for up to 2 weeks
- You should avoid lifting anything heavy including shopping, laundry or young children for the first 2-4 weeks.
- In addition you should avoid any strenuous sports activities for at least 4 weeks
- Any stitches you have will dissolve in about 10-14 days. There is no need to remove them.
Most women make a good recovery from vaginal prolapse surgery. As with any operation there can be complications:
- Blood clots (deep vein thrombosis).
Specific complications of vaginal prolapse surgery include:
- Perforation of bladder or rectum
- Injury to the uterus
- Recurrence of symptoms.
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 6SY
|Initial consultation||from £175|
|Diagnostics||If needed to determine treatment plan|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£6,952|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more