Our weight loss surgery clinic in Bristol can advise on the different types of weight loss surgery available and whether a sleeve gastrectomy is the right bariatric option for you.
Why choose Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital for your sleeve gastrectomy?
If you have a large amount of weight to lose and have tried everything but can’t succeed whatever you try, then a sleeve gastrectomy at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital could enable you to achieve long-term weight loss and transform your quality of life.
Our specialist bariatric staff and consultants pride themselves on treatment that considers all aspects of your health and lifestyle. They will work with you to assess your specific lifestyle, eating habits, dieting history, current weight and medical history. Surgery is only the beginning of a programme of lifelong change.
What is a gastric sleeve?
A sleeve gastrectomy differs from other weight loss treatments as food enters the new stomach pouch/tube and then follows a normal route versus bypassing the digestive tract. As a result, there are no absorption issues with a sleeve gastrectomy. The aim of sleeve gastrectomy is that you feel full sooner and therefore eat less food.
Other treatment options at our Bristol Hospital include gastric bypass surgery, gastric band surgery and non invasive gastric balloon treatment. Discuss the different weight loss surgery options with one of bariatric consultants in Bristol and establish which is the best option for you.
What happens during and after sleeve gastrectomy surgery at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital?
- This weight loss operation is performed laparoscopically under general anaesthetic
- It usually takes between 2 - 4 hours
- Your bariatric surgeon will make several small incisions (cuts) in your abdomen (stomach)
- They then insert a viewing tube with a small camera (laparoscope) and other tiny instruments into these small incisions to remove part of your stomach
- The tube-shaped stomach that is left is sealed closed with staples
- It is important to note: unlike some other procedures, sleeve gastrectomy is not reversible
- You will be taken to a recovery area following your operation
- Our healthcare team will monitor your blood pressure and heart rate
- You will be given pain relief medication
- You may have small drains (tubes) in your wounds to drain away any excess fluid
- You may also have a catheter that drains urine from your bladder
- These will all be removed before your go home
- Once you are on a ward you will be encouraged to get up and move about slowly
- You will be on a liquid only diet for the remainder of your hospital stay
- Your stomach may feel bruised and sore
- Be sure and let us know if you are in any discomfort or pain
- Your stay in hospital will depend on your own situation but is likely to be 1-3 days.
- Discuss your discharge plan with your bariatric consultant in Leicester.
Going home after sleeve gastrectomy surgery
- You will not be able to drive so please arrange for someone to pick you up from our Leicester Hospital
- It is important that you follow all the dietary recommendations we give you
- You will need to remain on a liquid diet for several weeks progressing to soft, moist foods
- It may be 4 - 6 weeks before you can begin to eat solid food
- Once you are eating solid foods it will be important to maintain a healthy diet to aid in your continued weight loss
- Most patients return to normal activities within 2 - 4 weeks following sleeve gastrectomy surgery
- Discuss any plans to return to work and exercise with your weight loss consultant.
Although rare, as with any surgery there can be complications:
- Damage to internal organs
- Staple line bleeding
- Staple line leak or perforation of the stomach or bowel
- Nutritional deficiencies.
3 Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1BN
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more