Mr James Hewes is a Consultant Surgeon at North Bristol NHS Trust, based at Southmead Hospital. He was appointed in 2012 and has since become the lead surgeon for Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery. He had expert training in London and the South-East before moving to Bristol.
He is experienced in all types of benign Upper GI surgery, including the management of gallstone disease, bile duct exploration, anti-reflux surgery, and hiatus hernia repair. He also has an interest in hernia repair using state-of-the-art laparoscopic techniques for groin and other abdominal wall and incisional hernias.
His sub-speciality interest is weight loss (bariatric) surgery, and he has excellent, nationally-reported outcomes.
- Laparoscopic management of gallstone disease including cholecystectomy and bile duct exploration
- Laparoscopic and open hernia repair (groin, abdominal wall, incisional, umbilical)
- Anti-reflux and Hiatus Hernia Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery including Laparoscopic Gastric Banding, Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy, Intragastric balloon placement
When away from work, James spends much of his time with his family and three energetic children. He is a keen sportsman and you may meet him cycling on the roads around Bristol. He is an avid reader, a lover of music, and a lapsed potter.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr James Hewes at Nuffield Health
- Weight loss surgery
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (AUGIS)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- International Federation of Surgery for Obesity (IFSO)
Other post held
- Consultant Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon and Lead Clinician, North Bristol NHS Trust, Southmead Hospital
Insurers Mr James Hewes works with
Mr James Hewes works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Westfield Health WPA
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Benenden Health
Mr James Hewes does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr James Hewes does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr James Hewes does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.