Waleed is a Consultant Upper GI, Bariatric, and Laparoscopic Surgeon at The East-Midlands Bariatric & Metabolic Institute (EMBMI). He also holds Honorary Consultant Assistant Professor in Surgery position at the University of Nottingham - Medical School. He qualified from the College of Medicine University of Mosul with honors. Following completing his basic surgical training in Cardiff in South Wales, he undertook his higher surgical training in the Health Education East Midlands – North and awarded his Fellowship (FRCS) and Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) from the Royal College of Surgeons of England. Waleed completed the Royal College of Surgeons of England post CCT Fellowship Programme in advanced laparoscopic and bariatric surgery at St Richards International Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Centre of Excellence in Chichester, United Kingdom. In addition to emergency surgery, Waleed has been fully trained into surgical management of patients with morbid obesity, oesophagogastric cancer, refractory GORD, emergency surgery, abdominal wall hernias, and complex gallstone disease.
- Laparoscopic (Keyhole) Surgery.
- Management of gallstone disease.
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and laparoscopic anti reflux surgery.
- Surgical management of patients with morbid obesity (Gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric band & intra gastric balloon).
- Diagnosis and management of oesophagogastric cancer.
- Laparoscopic/ open repair of abdominal wall hernias (Inguinal, femoral, incisional.
Waleed is married and has two daughters – Rama and Dana. His hobbies are basketball, swimming and he is a keen follower of the English Premier League.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Waleed Al-Khyatt at Nuffield Health
- Gastric band (lap banding)
- Laparoscopic anti reflux surgery
- Obesity surgery (or weightloss surgery)
- Hernia repair
- Weight loss surgery
Waleed was awarded a
PhD degree from the University of Nottingham for his research in the role of
oestrogen receptors in oesophageal cancer development. His research projects
were also presented at several national and international prize sessions and
awarded first prize medal from the Royal College of Physicians/Midlands
Gastroenterology Society. Waleed has several published book chapters and
peer reviewed papers. His research interests includes the pathogenesis of oesophageal
cancer, improving outcomes in bariatric and metabolic surgery, using quality
markers to improve outcomes in emergency surgery, and participation in national
collaborative audit/ research studies.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England, London, UK.
- International Federation of The Surgery of obesity (IFSO)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland (AUGIS)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain (ALSGBI)
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons (EAES)
- Medical & Dental Defence Union of Scotland (MDDUS)
Other post held
- Consultant Laparoscopic, Bariatric, and Upper GI Surgeon
- Honorary (Consultant) Assistant Professor - University of Nottingham
Insurers Mr Waleed Al-Khyatt works with
Mr Waleed Al-Khyatt works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Bupa On Demand
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Waleed Al-Khyatt does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Waleed Al-Khyatt does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Waleed Al-Khyatt does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.