Mr Chitgopkar is a Consultant Spinal Surgeon at The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic hospital in Oswestry, one of the five specialist Orthopaedic hospitals in the country and a tertiary centre for the region.
He has trained in India and has undergone his Trauma and Orthopaedic training as a Specialist Registrar on the Mersey rotation. He has trained in spinal surgery with fellowships at The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic hospital in Oswestry & Alder hey hospital, and at Hope hospital, Salford & Royal Manchester Children’s hospital.
Mr Chitgopkar's entire practice is in treating spinal disorders conservatively, by injections or surgery. The majority of his practice is in treating degenerative spinal conditions from cervical spine to the coccyx. He has a special interest in cervical spine surgery and spinal deformity. The other aspect of his NHS practice is in treating acute conditions like spinal trauma, tumours and infections.
He is the Lead for the MCh in spinal surgery programme of Edge Hill University in Liverpool in partnership with Wrightington hospital. Mr Chitgopkar is also a clinical supervisor and accredited trainer for Specialist Trainees on the West Midlands rotation and also train physiotherapists in the Spinal Secondary Care Clinic at Oswestry.
- Degenerative spinal disorders
- Conservative management of spinal disorders
- Cervical spine surgery
- Lumbar spine surgery
- Adult spinal deformity
- Spinal injections
Cervical spine, Spinal degenerative disorders and Spinal deformity.
Mr Chitgopkar has a holistic outlook towards life and this reflects in his clinical practice.
His passion outside of medicine is in understanding the similarity between science, mythology and philosophy. He has been invited to lecture on his understanding of these sciences. The videos are open to public on YouTube.
Mr Chitgopkar also enjoys playing cricket for his hospital and in the local league.
English, Hindi and Marathi
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Shashank Chitgopkar at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar discectomy
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Removal of spinal hardware
- Local anaesthetic
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
- Facet joint injections
- Medial facetectomy
- Nerve blocks
- Bone Graft
- Cervical Spine Surgery
- Excision of spinal tumours
- Correction of scoliosis
- X-Ray Guided Facet Joint Injection
- Trigger Point Injections
- Spinal fusion
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Image guided joint injections
- Cervical Disc Replacement
- Is Osteogenic differentiation of human intervertebral disc cells a possibility for spinal fusion?
- Development of classification criteria for lumbar radiculopathy due to disc herniation and for neurogenic claudication due to lumbar spinal stenosis.
- The spine. Development, Deformity, Duchenne. Chitgopkar SD, Trivedi JM.
- In Basic Science for FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics). Fourth edition. Institute of Orthopaedics (Oswestry).
- Activ C cervical disc replacement for myelopathy. L McGonagle, S Cadman, S Chitgopkar, L Canavan, M O’Malley, IM Shackleford.
- JCVJS (J of Cranio-Vertebral Junction and Spine) 2011,2:16.
- Primary septic arthritis of the acromio-clavicular joint: case report and review of literature. Iyengar KP, Gudena R, Chitgopkar SD, Ralte P, Hughes P, Nadkarni JB, Loh WY.
- Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2009 Jan;129(1):83-6.
- Flexible nailing of fractures in children using stainless steel Kirschner wires. SD Chitgopkar.
- Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B. 17(5):251-255, September 2008.
- Abstract in European J of Trauma Vol32, Supplement 1, April 2006.
- Painless reduction of anterior shoulder dislocation by Kocher’s method. SD Chitgopkar, M Khan.
- Injury, Int. J. Care Injured (2005) 36, 1182-84.
- Internal fixation of femoral shaft fractures in children by intramedullary Kirschner wires, a prospective study. Its significance for developing countries. SD Chitgopkar.
- BMC Surgery 2005, 5:6. doi:10.1186/1471-2482-5-6.
- British Association of Spine Surgeons
- General Medical Council
- British Medical Association
Other post held
- Consultant Spinal Surgeon at The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Gobowen, Oswestry
Insurers Mr Shashank Chitgopkar works with
Mr Shashank Chitgopkar works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Shashank Chitgopkar does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Shashank Chitgopkar does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Shashank Chitgopkar does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.