Mr Richard Haynes is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, specialising in Cataract and Vitreoretinal Surgery. He was appointed as a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Bristol Eye Hospital in 2001. He previously underwent Ophthalmic Specialist training in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Queens Medical Centre Nottingham and The Manchester Royal Eye Hospital as the Vitreoretinal Fellow and Royal College of Ophthalmologists Keeler Scholar.
Mr Haynes has an active research portfolio and has been awarded the prestigious Oxford Ophthalmic Congress Founders Cup for research on two occasions. He is the Chief Investigator of an International multi-centre controlled trial of genetic factors that predispose to infection, and is also the Principle Investigator of two other ongoing multi-centre randomised controlled trials.
Mr Haynes is actively involved in surgical training, having been the Royal College Tutor and Regional Advisor, and has personally trained over 35 Vitreoretinal Fellows who are now VR Consultants all over the world. He also set up the first UK Vitreoretinal Surgical Simulation Course for Fellows, and now runs this course for the British Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons and the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
Mr Haynes was the Clinical Director of Bristol Eye Hospital for 3 years from 2016, and has led the Vitreoretinal service since 2012. He was also elected as Lead for Professional Standards in the British Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons in 2018, and was awarded a National Clinical Excellence Award in 2018.
- Macular Hole
- Epiretinal Membrane
- Retinal detachment
- Vitreous floaters or haemorrhage
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy
- High myopia and other complex or high risk cataract surgery
- Complications of cataract surgery such as dropped nuclear fragments, infections (endophthalmitis).
- Macular degeneration haemorrhage.
- Retinal vascular diseases (eg. Retinal vein occlusion)
- Severe eye trauma (iris reconstruction and secondary lens implantation)
Sailing, cycling, and playing drums in the hospital rock band.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Richard Haynes at Nuffield Health
- Eyelid cyst removal
- MRI scan
- Cataract Surgery
Richard Haynes has 45 peer reviewed publications and has an active research portfolio. He has been awarded the Oxford Ophthalmic Congress Founders Cup for research on two occasions. He is the Chief Investigator of a current International multi-centre controlled trial of genetic factors that predispose to infection, and is also the Principle Investigator of two other current multicentre randomised controlled trials.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- British & Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- Oxford Ophthalmological Congress
- South West Ophthalmological Society
- European Society of Retinal Specialists
Other posts held
- Consultant Ophthalmic & Vitreoretinal Surgeon, Bristol Eye Hospital
Insurers Mr Richard Haynes works with
Mr Richard Haynes works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Richard Haynes does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Richard Haynes does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Richard Haynes does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.