Mr Nick Howells completed his Undergraduate Medical training at Imperial College, London in 2003. His basic surgical training was in London and Oxford and his specialist orthopaedic training was on the Bristol Rotation.
Mr Howells has completed two years of advanced fellowship training in knee surgery and trauma surgery in Australia. He undertook a fellowship at the internationally renowned Australian Institute of Musculoskeletal Surgery in Sydney under the supervision of Professor Leo Pinczewski gaining experience in all aspects of knee surgery, including the management of knee injuries in elite athletes.
He then spent one year at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, one of the busiest major trauma centres in Australia, gaining experience in orthopaedic trauma surgery and knee surgery.
Mr Howell is an NHS Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Avon Orthopaedic Centre at Southmead Hospital.
His elective practice focuses on knee surgery including primary and revision knee replacement, cartilage and ligament injuries and management of early and advanced osteoarthritis.
Nick lives with his wife and young family just outside Bristol. He previously played representative Cricket, Hockey and Squash and is a Qualified Ski Instructor. Now he enjoys Golf, Cycling and Skiing with his family
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Nick Howells at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Bone Graft
- Unicompartmental (Partial) Knee Replacement Robotic-arm assisted technology
- Total Knee Replacement using Robotic-arm assisted technology
- Cartilage resurfacing
- Joint resurfacing
- Drug and medication monitoring
- Tibial osteotomy
- Patella stabilisation
- Cartilage reconstruction
- Matrix-induced chondrocyte implantation (MACI)
- Awarded an MSc in Surgical Technology by Imperial College, London in 2007 focusing on the use of simulators to train orthopaedic surgeons.
- Awarded a Medical Research Doctorate in Orthopaedic Surgery by the University of Bristol in 2014 focusing on reasons for ongoing pain after knee replacement.
- Awarded Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy in 2014 in recognition of his training in medical education.
Mr Howells continues to hold the post of Honorary Lecturer with the University of Bristol and is currently involved in clinical research trials which have attracted several million pounds of National Institute for Health Research Funding. Current areas of work focus on improving outcomes for patients with persistent pain after knee replacement, a role for stem cells in the healing of meniscal injuries of the knee and the safety of novel meniscal implants following meniscectomy.
He has published a large number of research papers and presented his findings regularly at international conferences. Topics have included: Knee ligament injury and reconstruction, Arthroscopy, Knee Replacement, Partial Knee Replacement, Knee Osteotomy, Patellofemoral Instability and Meniscal Injuries.
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon at North Bristol NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Nick Howells works with
Mr Nick Howells works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Nick Howells does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Nick Howells does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Nick Howells does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.