After obtaining his Doctor of Medicine in 2001, Dr Kulothungan has worked in orthopaedics, Emergency Medicine and General Practice.
He completed his higher specialist training in Sport and Exercise Medicine in Cambridge and is on the GMC Specialist Register for Sport and Exercise Medicine.
He has a keen interest in teaching and clinical research within his NHS work. He also has a Master’s Degree in Sport and Exercise Medicine from the University College London.
Dr Kulothungan works with several sporting clubs and is a team physician with English FA Women’s football teams. He has worked as a sports medicine specialist in several high-profile international events including the Glasgow European Championships of 2018 and the London 2012 Olympic games. He works with elite athletes in tennis, athletics, premier league and championship football, gymnastics, basketball and aquatic sports.
He treats all sporting and musculoskeletal injuries in elite and recreational athletes and has a special interest in hip and groin injuries. Having trained in orthopaedic surgery for over 3 years, Dr Kulothungan has a unique advantage of having a surgical and medical knowledge in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal conditions.
He is also trained in Diagnostic and interventional Musculoskeletal Ultrasound which enables improved accuracy of diagnoses and guided injections
He works in the NHS and private sector. He
holds a substantive NHS consultant post and is an Honorary Consultant in Sport
and Exercise Medicine at the Cambridge University Hospital.
- All musculoskeletal and sporting injuries
- Exercise Medicine and Prescription
- Hip and groin injuries
- Teaching sports medicine and ultrasound to doctors and physiotherapists
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
Badminton, Cycling, Reading
1) Currently involved in “Platelet Rich Plasma in Knee Osteoarthritis” an Observational study as part of the NHS musculoskeletal service in Colchester (since September 2017)
2) Co-author “Physical Activity Needs Assessment” for Public Health Suffolk https://www.healthysuffolk.org.uk/uploads/2017-10-12_Needs_assessment_Final.pdf
3) Master’s degree research project in Sport and Exercise Medicine centered on a “New high load low volume eccentric exercise training program for chronic mid portion Achilles tendinopathy” (University College London Hospital, 2011)
4) Co-author of the study “Exercise and sports related injury and non-injury morbidities presented to an UK A&E department” which examined the incidence of exercise and sport related cardiovascular events in patients presenting to the local emergency Department.
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine
Other post held
- 1. Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine Musculoskeletal and Pain Service, Colchester
- 2. Honorary Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge
Insurers Dr Suntharalingam Kulothungan works with
Dr Suntharalingam Kulothungan works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Bupa On Demand
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA