Dr Hughes has been a Consultant Neurologist based in Sussex for 25 years. He undertook general medical appointments at University Hospital of Wales including Lecturer in Medicine. He also completed a Research Fellowship in Neurology. His clinical training appointments in Neurology included the National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery in London, Charing Cross Hospital in London and the Wessex Neurological Centre in Southampton. He was appointed Consultant Neurologist to Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre in 1994, a post he held until 2013. During this time, he was the Clinical Specialty Tutor in Neurology and served as Chairman of the Specialist Training Committee for Neurology for Kent, Surrey and Sussex Deanery. In addition, he was the Honorary Secretary of the South of England Neurosciences Association.
Neurology is the medical speciality which involves the diagnosis, treatment and management of a wide range of disorders that affect the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. This includes conditions such as migraine, vertigo, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
Neurological disorders can present with a wide range of symptoms including headache, facial pain, dizziness, loss of consciousness, memory disturbance, balance problems, tremor, weakness and sensory disturbance. The clinical assessment involves a detailed history and examination followed by investigations such as MRI scans.
Dr Hughes evaluates the full range of neurological problems and has specialised interests in multiple sclerosis, headache and aviation medicine.
Military History, Heraldry and the works of C S Lewis.
- Research Fellow in Neurology at Cardiff, working on immunological aspects of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Clinical trial involvement in studies with Methylprednisolone and Azathioprine.
- MD Thesis awarded 1989, “T Suppressor Cells in Multiple Sclerosis”
- General Neurology publications and collaborative research in a range of sub-specialties including Multiple Sclerosis, Neuro-ophthalmology, Sleep Disorders and Muscle Disease.
- Royal College of Physicians
- Association of British Neurologists
- The Haywood Club
- Royal Naval Medical Club
- South of England Neurosciences Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Neurologist, Nuffield Health Haywards Heath Hospital
- Consultant Advisor to the Civil Aviation Authority
- Clinical Governance Consultant, Nuffield Health Haywards Heath Hospital
- International Examiner, Royal College of Physicians
- Instructor for Advanced Trauma Life Support, Royal College of Surgeons
- Consultant Appraiser for BMI Group
- Trustee for Care for Veterans
Insurers Dr Paul Hughes works with
Dr Paul Hughes works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Paul Hughes does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Paul Hughes does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Paul Hughes does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.