Dr Harnarine Murally
MBBS (UWI), FRCA (London), MSc Pain Mgmt (University of Leicester), Specialist Pain Training
GMC number: 4467775
Practicing since: 1994
- Bi Weekly Wednesday PM
- Referral letter from GP, Consultant or Health Professional required
Or call us on
Chronic pain is very common affecting 1 in 7 adults in the United Kingdom. It is a long term disease that causes significant adverse physical, psychological and social distress. Pain is real and it’s what patients say it is.
Dr Murally has continued his training and study in Pain Medicine over the last 10 years which helps him better understand and manage this complex group of patients. He uses a bio-psychosocial model, which not only focuses on the sensory aspect of the disease, but equally important the functional, psychological and social components of pain.
There is no cure for chronic pain but with the right management techniques, patients can live and cope with their symptoms which will enable them to live as normal as possible.
The most effective management strategy starts with a thorough assessment followed by the appropriate therapies to control the unpleasant sensory symptoms. These may include medication, injections or stimulation techniques. This is supported by ongoing physical and psychological therapies to counteract the negative impact of chronic pain. This approach is best delivered by a multidisciplinary team who understand pain.
Every patient’s experience of pain is different hence it’s very important that management is tailored to each individual.
- Back pain
- Neuropathic pain and post surgical pain
- Education and training in pain
- Multidisciplinary team management of chronic pain
- Anaesthesia for the morbidly obese
- Upper GI surgery
- Exploring the English countryside
- Attending Church on Thursdays and Sundays
Locations Dr Harnarine Murally works with
- Dissertation for MSc in pain looking at the prevalence of anxiety and depression in chronic pain patients attending Pain Clinics in Staffordshire. It was found that approximately 50% percent of patients have significant anxiety and depression as separate co-morbidities to their long term pain.
- A study using the pain detect questionnaire found a 50% prevalence of neuropathic pain in patients attending the secondary care pain clinic. This finding was presented as a poster at the BPS Annual Scientific Meeting in 2013.
- Member of Royal College of Anaesthetists
- British Pain Society
- British Medical Association
- Society of Bariatric Anaesthesia.
- Obstetric Anaesthesia Association.
Other posts held
- Consultant in Pain Management and Anaesthetics, University Hospital of North Staffordshire (UHNS).
Insurers Dr Harnarine Murally works with
Dr Harnarine Murally works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Harnarine Murally does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Harnarine Murally does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Harnarine Murally does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.