About the programme
This is part of a six month training programme that will help you to complete a 7.5k run 30k cycle 7.5k run duathlon. It incorporates strength and endurance exercises to bring you up to speed by the time of your main event. You can join the programme at any stage in your training.
In the plan, you'll see runs and cycles marked as 'endurance' or 'speed'. Endurance runs and cycles should be slow and steady. Speed runs and cycles should be run at around a seven on the rating of perceived exertion scale.
'Brick' sessions should be completed continuously with no break in between.
FOUR MONTHS TO GOThis month is about building up to the event distances. You'll do your first full-distance cycle and should feel it getting easier each week.
Tip for this month:
If you're struggling with the increase in duration, try creating your own playlist to get in the zone. This can help you to reach your target by distracting you and giving you a beat to time your workout to.
By the end of this month you should:
Be able to cycle the full event distance.
Repeat the following each week this month:
|Run – endurance – 6k
|Cycle - endurance - 30k
|Day 7 (Brick)
1k run, 6k cycle, 1k run, rest, repeat twice
Increase the number of reps and sets of the following exercises as you progress through the training programme.
Do two sets of the following with a minute's rest in between:
- 20 x Squats – one of the key movements to be strengthened and worked on for a better range of movement
- 20 x Lunges – great development for sports-specific movement
- 30 x Step ups - to activate the glutes and prepare your legs for the stresses of cycling
- 20 x Press ups into TRX row – for upper body strength in both push and pull movements
- 50 secs x Swiss ball plank – for core strength, which will help with explosive power, holding the correct bike position and torso control when running.
- 30 secs each x Stretches - Hip flexor, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lats and chest to help prevent injury.
Last updated Friday 10 June 2016
First published on Thursday 12 May 2016