About the programme
This is part of a six month training programme that will help you to complete a 7.5k run 30k cycle 7.5k run duathlon. It incorporates strength and endurance exercises to bring you up to speed by the time of your main event. You can join the programme at any stage in your training.
In the plan, you'll see runs and cycles marked as 'endurance' or 'speed'. Endurance runs and cycles should be slow and steady. Speed runs and cycles should be run at around a seven on the rating of perceived exertion scale.
'Brick' sessions should be completed continuously with no break in between.
THREE MONTHS TO GO
On your individual run and cycle days you will now be completing distances that are longer than those you will be doing on the event day. By surpassing the event distances in individual sessions you will build your cardio fitness and gain confidence in your ability to excel on the day.
Tip for this month:
Start to introduce gels and energy bars if you'll be using them on event day. It's important you don't do anything for the first time when it comes to the event, that includes adapting your nutrition.
By the end of this month you should:
Start to feel like you're a duathlete - all the elements are there, it's now just about going further and lasting longer.
Repeat the following each week this month:
|Day 1||Run – endurance – 8k|
|Day 3||Cycle - endurance - 40k, Run - endurance - 5k|
|Day 7 (Brick)|
2k run, 6k cycle, 2k run, rest, repeat twice
Increase the number of reps and sets of the following exercises as you progress through the training programme.
Do two sets of the following with a minute's rest in between:
- 30 x Squats – one of the key movements to be strengthened and worked on for a better range of movement
- 30 x Lunges – great development for sports-specific movement
- 40 x Step ups - to activate the glutes and prepare your legs for the stresses of cycling
- 30 x Press ups into TRX row – for upper body strength in both push and pull movements
- 70 secs x Swiss ball plank – for core strength, which will help with explosive power, holding the correct bike position and torso control when running
- 30 secs each x Stretches - Hip flexor, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lats and chest to help prevent injury
Last updated Friday 10 June 2016