Duathlon | 2 months to go training programme
About the programme
This is part of a six month training programme that will help you to complete a 7.5k run 30k cycle 7.5k run duathlon. It incorporates strength and endurance exercises to bring you up to speed by the time of your main event. You can join the programme at any stage in your training.
In the plan, you'll see runs and cycles marked as 'endurance' or 'speed'. Endurance runs and cycles should be slow and steady. Speed runs and cycles should be run at around a seven on the rating of perceived exertion scale.
'Brick' sessions should be completed continuously with no break in between.
TWO MONTHS TO GO
This month you should focus on increasing your distance and maintaining consistently good sessions.
Tip for this month:
Purchase the kit that you will be using on the day and start to wear it in on every other training day. This will mean there's no nasty surprises on the day, such as rubbing, and will give you enough time to replace kit if necessary. Here's a guide to what kit you'll need on the day.
By the end of this month you should:
Have built up the strength and endurance you'll need for the event day.
Repeat the following each week this month.
|Day 1 (Brick)||Run – endurance – 10k, Cycle - endurance - 20k|
|Day 3||Cycle - speed - 40k|
|Day 7 (Brick)||7k run, 12k cycle, 3k run, rest, repeat twice|
Increase the number of reps and sets of the following exercises as you progress through the training programme.
Do two sets of the following with a minute's rest in between:
- 35 x Squats – one of the key movements to be strengthened and worked on for a better range of movement
- 35 x Lunges – great development for sports-specific movement
- 50 x Step ups - to activate the glutes and prepare your legs for the stresses of cycling
- 35 x Press ups into TRX row – for upper body strength in both push and pull movements
- 80 secs x Swiss ball plank – for core strength, which will help with explosive power, holding the correct bike position and torso control when running
- 30 secs each x Stretches - Hip flexor, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lats and chest to help prevent injury
Last updated Thursday 6 April 2023
First published on Thursday 12 May 2016