Prostate Resection - TURP surgery in Hampshire
Or call us on
At Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital in Hampshire, we have a team of expert surgeons who have performed many successful prostate resections.
Why choose Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital for my prostate resection?
For over 30 years, we've been providing people in Hampshire with the highest standards of private healthcare. Our recently refurbished hospital offers modern facilities in a clean and safe environment. We offer a truly personal service at Nuffield Health in Hampshire. You'll see the same consultant throughout your prostate treatment. During your stay, you'll have your own private bedroom with en-suite and our Matron-led team of nurses will offer you full care and support.
What happens during TURP?
- TURP is usually performed under spinal anaesthetic and takes less than 1 hour
- Your surgeon will insert a resectoscope (a small operating telescope with a light) into your urethra (the tube that carries urine from you bladder to your penis) and remove enough prostate tissue to relieve the pressure on your urethra
- Water is then flushed into the area to clear any debris
- Your urethra will be swollen and sore after this procedure so a thin tube called a catheter will be inserted into your urethra to allow urine to drain from your bladder
- You may experience a burning sensation when you first pass urine. This should ease quickly.
After your prostate resection surgery at our Wessex Hospital
- You should be able to go home after 3 - 4 days
- Most men begin to return to normal activities within a week
- Do not lift or move anything heavy for at least the first 4 weeks
- Avoid any strenuous activities such as housework or gardening until released to do so by your surgeon
- Take over the counter pain relief such as paracetamol if needed
- You may see some blood in your urine
- Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out your system
- You may also feel the need to urinate more often
- As your bladder and urethra heal this should ease
- Discuss any return to work with your consultant
- Most men make a good recovery, with a big improvement in their symptoms
General complications may include:
- Blood clots (deep vein thrombosis - DVT)
Specific complications of TURP:
- Fertility problems
- Retaining urine
- Prostate enlargement
Prostate resection (TURP) consultants at Wessex Hospital
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
By car: our hospital is conveniently located just off Junction 12 of the M3 between Southampton and Winchester, with free parking available. Parking Eye is in operation at this site, please ensure you input your car registration on one of the portals at the main reception. By public transport: the nearest train station is Chandlers Ford - a 20-minute train journey from Southampton Central station. The 1 Bluestar bus, which serves Southampton, Chandlers Ford and Winchester, is just 5 minutes walk from the hospital.
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more
Related free events
Men's Health Event
Wednesday 14 June 2023
Mr Edmund Chedgy Mr Richard Lockyer
Come and meet our Urology Consultants for a general talk on Men's Health.Book your place now
Meet the expert on Urology with Mr White
Wednesday 28 June 2023
Mr Christopher George White
Come and meet our urology consultant Mr Christopher White for a free 15-minute 1:1 appointment to discuss your general urological conditions.Book your place now