Prof Somani has worked as a Consultant Endourologist in UHS since 2012. He is the ‘Clinical Director of South Coast Lithotripter services’ and the ‘Endourology Lead’ for the hospital. His main interests are in benign prostate disorders, urinary tract infections, kidney stone disease, haematuria (blood in urine) and general urology (including scrotal and penile procedures).
Prof Somani has developed a portfolio of activities to raise public awareness of the symptoms, prevention and treatment of Urological conditions, including BBC Radio 4's Inside Health programme, BBC South television and ITV Meridian news.
Awards and Prizes
Winner – Clinical Research award: EAU section of urolithiasis (EULIS), 2019
Winner – Best paper in the literature award: EAU section of urolithiasis (EULIS), 2017
Joint winner- ‘NHS Emerging Leader’ (Thames Valley and Wessex region, 2015)
Finalist - ‘NHS Innovation Award’ (Thames Valley and Wessex region, 2014)
Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) urology section – Prize (2013, 2014, 2016)
Professor Somani specialises in the following treatments at the Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital:
Benign Prostate hyperplasia (BPH) – Prof Somani
has published extensively (13 papers) on minimally invasive benign prostate
treatments including Prostate artery embolization (PAE), Urolift (prostate
stapling), Rezum (prostate steam), Aquablation (robotic prostate surgery) and
laser prostate surgery (HoLEP, ThuVEP).
Awards and prizes:
- World Congress of Endourology (2011): 13 abstracts
- Annual Scottish Urological Society (2010): Best Paper - First prize
- World Congress of Endourology (2010): Highlights
- American Urological Association (AUA): Podium presentation - 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2011
- AUA highlights and take home message - 2006 and 2007
- European Association of Urologists (EAU): Podium presentation - 2008 and 2009
- EAU, Milan (2008): Best abstract by a resident - Second prize
Mr Somani is happily married with 2 children, enjoys cinema and music and is a keen follower of cricket.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Bhaskar Somani at Nuffield Health
- Prostate surgery
- Prostate screening
- Prostate resection (TURP)
- Penile lesions (biopsy of)
- Vasectomy or male sterilisation
- Endoscopic kidney stone treatment
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy
Mr Somani has published over 250 peer reviewed papers, 375 published conference papers/abstracts and six book chapters. He is on the editorial board of 6 journals and a reviewer for 15 journals (Including British, American and European Urological journals). He is also the head of field for urology on the BMedSc research course at Southampton.
You can find a full list of his publications on PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=somani+b
You can see his research activity on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bhaskar_Somani2
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
- European Association of Urologists
- American Urological Association
- Royal College of Surgeons (Ed)
- Endourological Society
- British Association of Urological Surgeons Endourology sub-section
- EAU section of Uro-Technology (ESUT)
- European School of Urology Training and Research group
- President-PETRA (Progress in Endourology, technology and Research Associatio) Group
Other post held
- Professor of Urology
- Consultant Urological Surgeon
- Endourology Lead, University Hospital Southampton
- Clinical Director-Southcoast Lithotripter Services
Insurers Professor Bhaskar Somani works with
Professor Bhaskar Somani works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa Global
- Westfield Health WPA
Professor Bhaskar Somani does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Bhaskar Somani does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Bhaskar Somani does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.