- Specialities Urology, Urological Cancer, Urological Surgery, Endo-urology, Uro-oncology, Sexual Health, Andrology, Men's Health, Urogynaecology
- Telephone Enquiries 02380 258464 Secretary 02380 258434
- Year of first qualification 2000
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- GMC Number 5206018
Bhaskar Somani is a Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Urology at University Hospital Southampton. He is the clinical lead for the Endourology Unit. He is a high volume surgeon and performs more than 200 ureteric or renal endoscopic procedures per year. He also specializes in paediatric stone surgery. Bhaskar is busy full time NHS Consultant and does general adult besides Endourology.
He did a Ureteroscopy/Laparoscopy fellowship in Paris and a Stone fellowship in Lucknow, India. He has streamlined the acute stone services in Southampton and performs complex stone surgery, bilateral ureteroscopic laser stone surgery, and regional referrals.
Bhaskar is a keen teacher and has been a faculty member of the British Association of Urological Surgeons skills courses in rigid/flexible upper tract endoscopy and TURP for last 4 years. Due to his expertise in stone disease and ureteroscopy, he is now teaches as a faculty for "Hands on training in Ureteroscopy" in the European urology residents education programme (EUREP). In 2013, he was invited by the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland to "Train the Trainers and Management of Emergency Urological Skills" course in Nairobi.
- By arrangement
- Consultant Urological Surgeon, University Hospitals Southampton NHS Trust
- Stone Lead for the Unit
Awards and prizes:
- World Congress of Endourology (2011): 13 abstracts
- Annual Scottish Urological Society (2010): Best Paper - First prize
- World Congress of Endourology (2010): Highlights
- American Urological Association (AUA): Podium presentation - 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2011
- AUA highlights and take home message - 2006 and 2007
- European Association of Urologists (EAU): Podium presentation - 2008 and 2009
- EAU, Milan (2008): Best abstract by a resident - Second prize
Mr Somani is happily married with 2 children, enjoys cinema and music and is a keen follower of cricket.
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
- European Association of Urologists
- American Urological Association
- Royal College of Surgeons (Ed)
Mr Somani is the audit lead for the unit and is the principal investigator for the NIHR funded SUSPEND trial. He has published more than 70 peer review papers and 130 published abstracts in national and international meetings. He has published one of the first papers in the world on upper tract PDD using oral 5ALA for upper urinary tract tumour diagnosis, and his papers on testicular torsion, erectile dysfunction, urinary tract infection, haematuria, urine cytology and penile length measurement are amongst the largest series in the UK. Bhaskar has also published systematic reviews on ureteroscopy in obese patients, patients with bleeding diathesis, patients with very large stones, in pregnancy, in horseshoe kidneys and for stones in paediatric population.
Professor Bhaskar Somani does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Bhaskar Somani does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Bhaskar Somani does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.