Mr Hayes undertook general urological surgical training in Bristol and Wessex, prior to undertaking a fellowship in urological cancer surgery at the Royal Marsden Hospital, London in 2001-2. He is now a consultant urological surgeon at SUHT and honorary senior lecturer in the School of Medicine, University of Southampton.
He provides services in bladder, kidney and testis cancer, and collaborate in a regional retroperitoneal cancer service as well as vasectomy reversal.
Mr Hayes was appointed medical director of the Central South Coast Cancer Network in 2011. Through this position he has been a pivotal role in implementation of national improving outcomes guidance (IOG) across the cancer network, and in the development of cancer strategy mainly across the south coast of England.
As well as being a consultant mentor, he acts as a facilitator within SUHT for the 360 degree consultant appraisal process.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Matthew Hayes at Nuffield Health
- Prostate surgery
- Vasectomy or male sterilisation
- Vasectomy reversal treatment
- STD Screening
- Penile lesions (biopsy of)
- Prostate Resection - TURP surgery
- Intravesical pH: a potentially important variable affecting efficacy and the further development of anthracycline chemotherapy for superficial bladder cancer.NM Harris, PM Duffy, TJ Crook, WR Anderson, P Sharpe, MC Hayes, AJ Cooper, LZ Solomon. BJU International (2002), 90: 957-964.
- The nuclear membrane in multidrug resistance: microinjection of epirubicin into bladder cancer cell lines. JM Featherstone, AG Speers, BA Lwaleed, MC Hayes, AJ Cooper, BR Birch. BJU International (2005), 95: 1091-1099.
- Adult testicular dermoid tumours - mature teratoma or pre-pubertal teratoma? TJ Kendall, JM Featherstone, GM Mead, MC Hayes, JM Theaker. Int Urol Nephrol (2006) 38(3-4): 643-6.
- Renal Haemangioma: a diagnostic challenge. EE Rutherford, JL Manners, JM Smart, MC Hayes. Clin Radiol (2006) 61(4): 370-3.
- Management of renal tumours by image guided radiofrequency ablation: experience in 105 tumours. DJ Breen, EE Rutherford, B Stedman, SH Roy-Choudhury, JE Cast, MC Hayes, CJ Smart. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol (2007) 30(5): 936-42.
- A pressing diagnosis - a compromised testicle secondary to compartment syndrome. JW Douglas, JA Hicks, J Manners, MC Hayes. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2008 90(2): 6-8.
- Sex cord stromal testicular tumors: a clinical series - uniformly stage 1 disease, Featherstone JM, Fernando HS, Theaker JM, Simmonds PD, Hayes MC, Mead GM. J Urol 181, 2090-2096, 2009.
- The clinical features and management of testicuar germ cell tumours in patients aged 60 years and older. Wheater MJ, Manners J, Nolan L, Simmonds PD, Hayes MC, Mead GM. BJUInt, May 2011.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Eng)
- Full member of the British Association of Urological Surgeons
- British Medical Association
Other post held
- Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Matthew Hayes works with
Mr Matthew Hayes works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Medical Care Direct
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Matthew Hayes does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Matthew Hayes does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Matthew Hayes does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.