If your old hip replacement has started to wear out and you are experiencing discomfort, you may need it replaced with a new prosthesis. At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital our expert orthopaedic surgeons specialise in undertaking hip revision surgery.
Why choose Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital for your hip revision surgery?
At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital all of our lower limb orthopaedic surgeons specialise in joint revision procedures. Our orthopaedic consultants boast a wealth of experience and regularly perform hip revision surgery to the highest clinical standards, with excellent patient outcomes.
Did you know Nuffield Health in Bournemouth was the first Nuffield hospital to open? It's legacy, customer service and exemplary patient satisfaction has set the bar high for other Nuffield Health hospitals to follow.
We pride ourselves on our patient experience and our inpatient rooms do not disappoint. Each private room includes an en-suite bathroom, widescreen TV, modern decor and unlimited wireless internet connectivity. We also have an on-site physiotherapy service that features a hydrotherapy pool. Our physiotherapists specialise in orthopaedic aftercare and work closely with our orthopaedic surgeons to get you back to your feet.
If you are experiencing hip pain and think your old hip replacement has started to wear, come along to one of our free orthopaedic open events. Here you will get the opportunity to meet one of our hip surgeons in person and ask any questions you may have about the procedure.
What is hip revision surgery?
Hip revision surgery is a surgical procedure to take out your old, often worn out hip replacement in be replaced with a brand new one.
Hip replacements can fail for several reasons:
- Wearing out of the artificial ball and socket joint
- Infection in the hip joint
- Fracture of the thighbone (Femur).
What happens during hip revision surgery?
During your operation your surgeon will remove your old hip prothesis and any cement that might have been used to hold it in place. He will replace your old prosthesis with new components.
Your surgeon’s choice of prosthesis will be based on several factors such as your age, your level of activity and your current condition. Both cemented and uncemented replacements are used. If you have concerns be sure and ask your surgeon about his prosthesis choice.
Going home after your hip revision at Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital
- One of our on-site physiotherapists will give you some exercises to help get your new hip moving
- These exercises are important to help you make a full and thorough recovery
- You may be using crutches or a walker
- When you are able to walk up and down stairs, you can go home
- You won’t be able to drive, so you will need someone to come and take you home from the hospital, once discharged.
So you don’t damage your new hip and to help your wound heal, you should follow a few restrictions for the first six weeks of your recovery:
- Avoid bending your new hip beyond 90 degrees
- Avoid rolling your leg towards the other leg
- Avoid crossing your legs
- Avoid twisting on your new hip when standing
- Use the shower instead of the bath
- Keep wearing your support stockings - you may have to do so for 4 to 6 weeks
- If you have any questions or concerns about your restrictions be sure and ask a member.
What are the risks involved with a hip revision?
Most people make a good recovery and return to normal activities following hip revision. However as with any surgery there can be complications which include:
- Infection of the surgical site (incision)
- Blood clots (DVT - deep vein thrombosis)
- Difficulty passing urine
- Chest infection
Specific complications might include:
- Split in the femur
- Nerve damage around the hip
- Damage to the blood vessels around the hip
- Infection in the hip
- Loosening of the replacement
- Leg length difference.
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more