Hernia repair surgery in Bournemouth
Or call us on
At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital our experienced general surgeons can provide you with rapid access to a range of different hernia repair treatments, helping you get back to your best.
Why choose Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital for your hernia repair surgery?
At Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital our experienced general surgeons can provide you with expert advice on the best treatment options to repair your hernia. Our consultants perform a range of different hernia procedures, with specific benefits to each individual treatment.
Did you know that Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital was the first Nuffield facility to open in the UK? It's legacy, customer service and exemplary patient satisfaction has set the bar high for other Nuffield Health Hospitals across the country to follow.
What types of hernias can you repair?
There are 2 common types of hernias that we can repair, hernia bilateral and hernia unilateral.
This form of hernia presents itself on both sides of the groin area or lower abdomen at the same time.
- This type of hernia occurs on one side of the body
- In men, an inguinal hernia happens at the inguinal canal. This is a narrow passage in which blood vessels supplying the testicle pass through the abdominal wall
- More common in women, a femoral hernia appears in the groin
- Femoral hernias happen at the hole in the wall of the abdomen where the femoral artery and vein pass from the abdomen into the leg
- These hernias tend to occur following childbirth.
What happens during hernia repair surgery in Bournemouth?
We can perform two types of surgery, both with quick recovery times. You may not even need to stay in hospital overnight.
- Open repair surgery takes about 1 hour and a variety of anaesthetics may be used
- Your surgeon will make an incision in your groin and remove the "hernial sac"
- To strengthen the muscle layer, stitches will be used
- They insert a synthetic mesh to cover the weak spot
- Open surgery for groin hernia repair is usually done as a day case meaning you can go home same day.
Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery
- This procedure is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- It normally takes about 1 hour
- A laparoscope (tiny telescope) connected to a camera will be inserted via a very small tube (cannula) to allow your surgeon to close the weak spot from inside your abdomen
- They will use a piece of surgical mesh and surgical staples to reinforce the area
- You will probably go home the day of the surgery or you may spend 1 night in hospital.
How quick is recovery?
- Recovery from hernia repair surgery is usually very quick
- You'll be mobile very soon after the procedure and will be encouraged to increase how much you walk around over the first few days post surgery
- Most patients return to normal daily activities within a week
- Your consultant in Bournemouth will inform you of any specific "dos and don'ts", depending on your type of hernia and the chosen surgery.
Are there any risks with hernia repair?
As with all operations, hernia repair surgery has a risk of complications. Be sure to discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
Hernia repair consultants at Bournemouth Hospital
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Diagnostics||If needed to determine treatment plan|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£3,295|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more