Professor Toms specialises in knee surgery including sports injuries, arthroscopic surgery, complex primary total knee replacement and revision knee surgery, as well as maintaining an ongoing commitment in the field of trauma and primary hip replacement surgery. He is the co-ordinator of the Exeter Knee Reconstruction Unit (EKRU) and educational supervisor for the Exeter Knee Fellow, Extended Scope Physiotherapists and Surgical Care Practitioner.
In 2010 Professor Toms was recognised in the Daily Mail's list of Top 10 UK Knee Surgeons. Uniquely, the study by the Daily Mail canvassed the views of top orthopaedic surgeons and asked them “if your own nearest and dearest were to need a knee replacement, who would you refer them to and why?” Impressively, consultant surgeon colleagues around the country recommended Andrew Toms for his technical skill, as well as his bedside manner, describing him as “technically a good surgeon” with "huge experience in complex knee replacements" while being "good-humoured, well trained and empathetic with patients".
Professor Toms has received various prestigious accolades throughout his career, including:
- Charnley Trust Foundation Award, 2004
- Professor's Medal, March 2004
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) Travelling Fellowship Award, 2004
- Cutner Fellowship Award, RCS Ed. 2004
- British Association of Surgery of the Knee (BASK) Educational Travel Award, 2004
- Smith & Nephew Research Society, 2003
- Merit Award in Biomechanics, Nov 2002
- Oswestry Research Prize, May 2002
- Harrison Research Prize, Nov 2001
- Chairman's Award for Research, June 2001
- Sir John Lewis Prize in Medicine, June 1992.
- Convenor of Exeter Revision Hip and Knee Instructional course and Knee Masterclass course. Faculty on Bath Biomechanics course.
- Member of Stryker Innovations and Design Group
- Supervisor for Exeter Knee Reconstruction Unit Fellow, extended scope physiotherapist and surgical care practitioner, as well as PhD and Msc students in Engineering
- Appointed Senior Research Fellow, Engineering Dept, Bath University, 2009
- Member of European Knee Advisory Board
- Scientific Advisor to European Knee Research Centre.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Andrew Toms at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
Published papers include extensive work on all aspects of knee surgery, trauma and reconstructive techniques. He is research lead for the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre and runs the Exeter Knee Masterclass course and Exeter Hip and Knee Revision course, in conjunction with Professor Jonathan Howell.
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association of Knee Surgeons
- European Knee Advisory Board
Other posts held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust