Mr Buter trained as a General Surgeon in South Africa where he obtained a Masters degree in Surgery with honours. His training continued as the Lister Fellow in Upper GI surgery at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
Currently, Mr. Buter has a very large and established practice based at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley. He manages patients with malignant and benign upper gastro-intestinal disease as well as general conditions such as groin and other abdominal wall hernia.
He is a skilled endoscopist and offers very specialised procedures such as ERCP for removal of gallstones from the bile duct. The majority of surgical procedures he performs are done with a laparoscope (so called “keyhole” method) to reduce pain and shorten recovery.
Mr Buter has a specialist interest in laparoscopic hernia repair. He has a vast experience with the TEP procedure for the repair of groin hernia and has done more than 500 of these procedures with a low rate of recurrence and a very low rate of complications. His results have been audited and presented at international meetings. He also arranges workshops to train other surgeons to perform this operation.
He is also a specialist in the management of Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease with access to physiological testing and is experienced at the medical treatment of this condition and laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery.
His interest in gallstones and its complications like cholecystitis, biliary colick, bile duct stones and gallstone pancreatitis coupled with his skills at laparoscopic cholecystectomy and ERCP places him in the position to treat not only common gallstone related problems but also the more complex and demanding cases.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Anton Buter at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Hernia repair
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
Mr Buter has publised several articles on upper gastrointestinal disease. These include:
- Cowell D, Pover A, Buter A, Moug SJ. Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic: Bile duct dilatation caused by an aortic aneurysm. JGH 2010,25:1467
- Buter A, Imrie CW, Evans S, Carter R, McKay CJ. The Dynamic nature of early organ dysfunction in patients with acute pancreatitis. BJS March 2002;89(3):298
- McKay Colin J, Buter Anton. Chapter 24: Cytokine Gene polymorphisms in Acute Pancreatitis. Pancreatic Disease, Basic Science and Clinical Management. Johnson CD, Imrie CW (Ed) 2004.
- Association of Upper GI surgeons
Other posts held
- Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Royal Alexandra Hospital Paisley
Insurers Mr Anton Buter works with
Mr Anton Buter works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Anton Buter does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Anton Buter does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Anton Buter does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.