Dr Shaffer is a clinical oncologist who uses radiotherapy and chemotherapy to treat brain, skin and urological tumours (prostate and bladder cancer). He has a specialist interest in implementing new radiotherapy technology, including intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), image guided radiotherapy (IGRT) and stereotactic radiotherapy. He is currently the chair of the Radiotherapy Technology Development Group and Stereotactic Radiotherapy Group in Guildford, and leads the Brain Tumour Working Group. He has also been the principal investigator on several treatment studies in brain tumours, prostate cancer and skin cancer.
Dr Shaffer has also served on the Royal College of Radiologists working group looking into the use of radiotherapy for benign conditions and has a wide experience in treating Dupuytren’s disease, Ledderhose disease (plantar fibromatosis) and Plantar Fasciitis with radiotherapy.
Prior to working at Royal Surrey County Hospital, Dr Shaffer undertook his oncology training in London and went on to complete a clinical fellowship in radiation oncology in Vancouver, Canada. Whilst in Canada he completed a number of research projects in technical radiotherapy, including the comparison of conventional IMRT with volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) in several disease sites including prostate and high-grade glioma. Dr Shaffer has presented and been published widely in the oncology field.
- Uro-oncology – prostate cancer, bladder cancer
- Neuro-oncology – treatment of Brain tumours
- Skin cancer
- Radiotherapy for benign disease – Dupuytren’s, Ledderhose, Plantar Fasciitis
Dr Shaffer is a keen pianist and has played at various festivals and venues including Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London. He also sings in choirs. He particularly enjoys travelling and spending time with his family.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Richard Shaffer at Nuffield Health
- A radiotherapy planning study for RapidArc, intensity modulated radiotherapy, three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy and parallel opposed beams in the treatment of pediatric retropenitoneal tumors. Richard Shaffer, Emily Vollans, Rosie Vellani, Margaret Welsh, Vitali Moiseenko, Karen Goddard, Pediatric Blood and Cancer 2011 Jan; 56 (1):16-23
- A comparison of volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) and conventional intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) for front and temporal high-grade gliomas. Richard Shaffer, Alan M Nichol, Emily Vollans, Ming Fong, Sandy Nakano, Vitali Moiseenko, Moira Schmuland, Roy Ma, Michael McKenzie, Karl Otto, International Journal of Radiation Oncology and Bio Physics, Vol 76, No. 4, pp. 1177-1184
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy and Conventional Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy for Simultaneous Maximal Intraprostratic Boost: a Planning Comparison Study. R. Shaffer, W. J. Morris, V. Moiseenko, C. Crumley, S. Nakano, M. Schuland, T. Pickles, K. Otto. Clinical Oncology (2009) 21: 401-407
- Royal College of Radiologists
Other post held
- Royal Surrey County Hospital
Dr Richard Shaffer does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Richard Shaffer does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Richard Shaffer does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.