Jeremy Woodward was awarded a scholarship to read Medicine at Christ's College, Cambridge where he graduated in 1987 with a First Class honours degree.
He completed clinical studies at St Thomas' Hospital in London where he was awarded a Clinical Scholarship.
Following junior hospital doctor posts in London, he undertook specialist gastroenterology training on the West Midlands rotation under the mentorship of Dr Robert Allan.
Since 2002, Dr Jeremy Woodward has pursued a career in general luminal gastroenterology - providing a comprehensive service in upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy, ERCP and the management of general gastrointestinal complaints.
He is the lead clinician for nutrition support in Addenbrooke's Hospital and chairs the Nutrition Steering Committee for the Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He has served on specialist committees of the British Society of Gastroenterology, the Royal College of Physicians and the British Association of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (BAPEN) and has been closely involved with the regional specialisation of intestinal failures services in England ('HIFnet'). In 2011 he established and was voted inaugural chair of ANNet, the Anglia Nutrition Network. He is currently a member of the NICE guideline development group for Coeliac disease diagnosis and management.
Dr Woodward has established and leads a video capsule enteroscopy ('camera pill') service, a novel dedicated Coeliac Disease clinic with a special interest in refractory disease, an innovative model for decision making in artificial nutrition - the 'Feeding Issues MDT', and a specialist gastrointestinal immunodeficiency clinic.
He is the lead clinician in intestinal failure for the National Intestinal and Multivisceral Transplant Centre and the Cambridge Centre for Encapsulating Peritoneal Sclerosis.
He organises the regional SpR training programme and delivers nutrition education to medical students as part of the NNedPro project in Cambridge University.
As a registrar in gastroenterology, Dr Woodward developed interests in clinical nutrition support and intestinal immunology and took time out of clinical training to complete a PhD thesis in intestinal lymphocyte development in the thymic biology laboratory of Dr John Owen, FRS.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Jeremy Woodward at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
Current ongoing projects include:
- Improving outpatient management and quality of care in Coeliac Disease.
- Understanding the natural history of refractory Coeliac Disease
Intestinal Failure-Associated Liver disease:
- MATILDA - Molecular Aetiology, clinical course and Therapeutic Intervention in Liver Disease Associated with intestinal failure.
- Assessment of a new blood test for the detection of intestinal allograft rejection.
- Association of chronic Noroviral infection with immunodeficiency associated enteropathy
- Woodward JM. Artificial nutrition support. Chapter 11.6, pp535-549 in Oxford Textbook of Medicine, 5th ed (2010) eds Warrell, DA; Cox TM and Firth JD, Oxford University Press
- Woodward JM. Oral and enteral nutrition support. Chapter 21 in Nutrition and the Cancer Patient (2010) eds Del Fabbio E, Baracos V et al, OUP
- Woodward JM. Coeliac Disease, in Medicine (Elsevier) 2010
- Woodward JM. Coeliac Disease. in Medicine (Elsevier) 35:4 226-231 2007
- Beath S and Woodward JM Intestinal failure-associated liver disease in Intestinal failure – diagnosis, management and transplantation. Eds Lagnas, A; Goulet, O; Quigley, E; Tappenden K Wiley and sons, 2008
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- British Association for Parental and Enteral Nutrition
- Medical Defence Union
- Royal College of Physicians
Other post held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, Addenbrookes NHS Trust Hospital Cambridge
Insurers Dr Jeremy Woodward works with
Dr Jeremy Woodward works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- CS Healthcare
Dr Jeremy Woodward does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Jeremy Woodward does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Jeremy Woodward does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.