At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital our experienced orthopaedic surgeons specialise in a range of upper limb procedures and can provide you with rapid access to shoulder replacement surgery.
Why choose Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital for your shoulder replacement surgery?
At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital our experienced team of upper limb orthopaedic surgeons are experts in undertaking shoulder replacement surgery. They are renowned across the region for their excellent patient outcomes, providing rapid access to a consultation and then treatment.
Plymouth Hospital is conveniently located on the northern outskirts of the city centre, adjacent to the NHS teaching hospital. We offer plenty of free parking, with easy road access from all directions. Whilst staying in our hospital you will be seen by your chosen consultant and supported by our attentive matron led nursing staff. Our matron-led care ensures that the clinical standards and patient experience we deliver is second to none.
As a shoulder replacement patient at Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital you will be eligible for our exclusive Recovery Plus programme at Plymouth Fitness & Wellbeing Gym. This programme has been designed to aid your recovery back to full health post surgery. You will also be able to utilise the facilities on offer, like the 20m swimming pool and gym equipment.
If you are still unsure about shoulder replacement surgery and its benefits, you are welcome to find out more information at one of our free orthopaedic open events. Here you will get the opportunity to meet one of our shoulder surgeons in person and ask any questions you may have.
What happens during shoulder replacement surgery in Plymouth?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours. Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling. Most patients stay in hospital 1 – 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after shoulder replacement
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any pain killers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile
- Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise
- It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement
- Range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
With any surgical procedure there can be complications including:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke.
Specific complications of shoulder replacement include:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more