Breast reduction surgery in Plymouth
At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital our experienced cosmetic surgeons can provide you with rapid access to breast reduction surgery. Read more…
Paying for yourself
|Consultant fees||Hospital fees|
|Initial consultation||£175||No charge|
|Subtotals||£175 guide price||£6820 guaranteed price|
The price displayed for your initial consultation is a guideline only as consultant fees vary according to their own individual fee schedules. The price displayed above however for pre-assessment, main treatment and post-discharge care is guaranteed and inclusive of all costs.
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our cosmetic experts in Plymouth
Fill in the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Why choose Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital for your breast reduction surgery?
At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital our experienced cosmetic breast surgeons can provide you with the care you need and deserve. Whether you are seeking breast reduction surgery for cosmetic or medical reasons, our consultants are here to help. Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital is conveniently located on the northern outskirts of Plymouth, adjacent to the local NHS hospital. We offer ample on-site free parking, with easy road access from all directions.
Deciding whether to undertake cosmetic surgery or not isn’t easy and we understand that having any form of cosmetic surgery is a big step. As a result, we insist all patients engage fully with one of our cosmetic consultants, ensuring they have discussed all the options available before making a decision.
Whilst staying in our hospital you will be seen by the same chosen consultant throughout your journey, who will be supported by our attentive matron-led nursing staff. We believe our matron-led care ensures the highest clinical/hygiene standards, encouraging a positive patient experience.
Your recovery will play an important part in the success of a breast reduction procedure, which is why your treatment package includes any aftercare that your consultant approves.
Why undertake breast reduction surgery?
The procedure can relieve physical symptoms such as breast discomfort, neck ache, backache, shoulder pain, skin irritations under the breast fold, painful pressure from bra straps and difficulties and discomfort during exercise. You may also want to undertake a breast reduction for aesthetic reasons. Maybe you have very large breasts and their size is affecting your self-confidence.
What happens during breast reduction surgery at Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital?
- Breast reduction is performed under a general anaesthetic
- It can take between one-and-a-half to three hours
- There are several different surgical procedures for breast reduction
- Excess skin and fat is removed
- Your breasts are reshaped and the nipples are repositioned
- All procedures result in a scar around the areola (dark area around the nipple) and each method results in additional scarring
- Your surgeon will discuss each procedure with you and together you will decide which is best in your particular case
- Breast reduction can also be used to correct asymmetry (imbalance) of your breasts.
Going home after breast reduction surgery in Plymouth
- Patients are usually required to stay at Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital for one to two nights
- You will have dressings on your breasts and there may be drains (plastic tubes). The drains are usually removed before you leave hospital
- You will be given post-operative pain killers and instructions regarding your dressings and any stitches you may have.
- Most patients are mobile from day one and return to normal activities within six weeks. However everyone heals differently. Be sure and discuss your return to work with your surgeon
- The results of breast reduction improve gradually over time. Your breasts should become softer and more natural as the healing continues.
Guide to the stages of recovery
- You may have some discomfort for a week. Mild painkillers will help with this but avoid taking aspirin
- Keep walking around to avoid post-operative complications
- Sports bra worn day and night for about 3 weeks.
- Might pull and hurt a little when you move around
- Any non-dissolvable stitches will be removed
- Gradually begin to increase your activity
- Depending on your job, should be able to return to work from 2 weeks
- Drive only when you feel safe to do so.
- Avoid lifting or pushing anything heavy for at least four weeks
- No need to wear a bra during the night but keep one on during the day
- Loss of sensation to breast and nipple area continues to improve.
- Scars will begin to soften and fade
- You can begin to judge the final result.
Specific complications following breast reduction:
- Developing a lump or swelling inside the breast
- Numbness or persistent pain on the outer part of the breast
- Loss of skin, including the areola and nipple
- Stiff shoulder
- Change of breast and nipple sensation
- Uneven shape: Your breasts will change shape after reduction surgery. There is a chance that they may end up slightly lopsided, lumpy or with uneven nipples
- Reduced ability to breastfeed.