If you are suffering form an enlarged prostate, our urology experts in South Wales specialise in prostate surgery and can provide you with rapid access to a transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), through a treatment plan personalised to you.
Why choose Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital for your prostate resection surgery?
If you are struggling to pass urine, experience difficulty emptying your bladder and frequently feel the urge to urinate, you may be suffering from an enlarged prostate and could benefit from transurethral prostate resection surgery, more commonly known as a "TURP".
At Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital our experienced urologists specialise in prostate surgery and have built a strong reputation in Wales for their excellent care and successful patient outcomes.
Our hospital is conveniently situated in the picturesque Vale of Glamorgan, west of Cardiff near junction 34 on the M4. At Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital we are proud of our first-class approach to primary care with every staff member contributing to an exceptional hospital environment for our patients.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Cardiff & Vale Hospitals
If you are considering a prostate resection or want expert advice from a men's health professional, you can discuss your treatment options with one of our urology consultants in either Cardiff or Vale by booking a private consultation via our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 02920 007488.
During a consultation you will have the opportunity to discuss all the options open to you, making sure you make the right decision.
Our 2 hospital locations in South Wales allow you to shape your own men's health treatment
All inpatient procedures are performed at our Vale Hospital, however patients have the flexibility to decide where their initial consultation takes place.
As well as the Vale Hospital, our urology consultants operate out of Nuffield Health Cardiff Bay Hospital for initial consultations, diagnostic imaging and pre-op tests.
Subsequently, you can choose which of our two locations you want to undertake your post surgery aftercare with.
What happens during TURP at Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital?
- TURP is usually performed under spinal anaesthetic and takes less than 1 hour
- Your surgeon will insert a resectoscope (a small operating telescope with a light) into your urethra (the tube that carries urine from you bladder to your penis) and remove enough prostate tissue to relieve the pressure on your urethra
- Water is then flushed into the area to clear any debris
- Your urethra will be swollen and sore after this procedure so a thin tube called a catheter will be inserted into your urethra to allow urine to drain from your bladder
- You may experience a burning sensation when you first pass urine. This should ease quickly.
After your prostate resection surgery in South Wales
- You should be able to go home after 3 - 4 days
- Most men begin to return to normal activities within a week
- Do not lift or move anything heavy for at least the first 4 weeks
- Avoid any strenuous activities such as housework or gardening until released to do so by your surgeon
- Take over the counter pain relief such as paracetamol if needed
- You may see some blood in your urine
- Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out your system
- You may also feel the need to urinate more often
- As your bladder and urethra heal this should ease
- Discuss any return to work with your consultant
- Most men make a good recovery, with a big improvement in their symptoms
General complications may include:
- Blood clots (deep vein thrombosis - DVT).
Specific complications of TURP:
- Fertility problems
- Retaining urine
- Prostate enlargement.
The Vale Hospital, Hensol Castle Park, Vale of Glamorgan, CF72 8JX
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more