Dr Carl Moran
MBBS, BSc(Hons), FRCP
GMC number: 6027380
Practicing since: 2001
Gastroenterology, General (internal) Medicine
- Friday PM
Or call us on
Having been born and brought up in Portsmouth, Dr Moran completed his undergraduate training at St. George’s Hospital Medical School in 2001. In 2013, he completed his Specialist Training in the South West Thames region, which included a year at the Liver Unit at King’s College Hospital, as well as a period of research at St. George’s University of London, resulting in numerous publications. Dr Moran's overall training also included nearly two years of Intensive Care Medicine.
Dr Moran was appointed as a Consultant in Gastroenterology at St. Richard’s Hospital, Chichester, in October 2013.
Dr Moran is a JAG-Certified Endoscopist in Diagnostic / Therapeutic Endoscopy, Colonoscopy and Flexible Sigmoidoscopy.
Dr Moran has a particular interest in liver disorders, Hepatology, abnormal liver function tests, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), diarrhoea, abdominal pain, probiotics, endoscopic procedures, gastroscopy, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, Haemochromatosis, dyspepsia (indigestion), reflux, GORD, heartburn, weight loss, bloating, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), jaundice, gallstones, biliary colic, cancer of the pancreas, polyps, colonic polyps, anaemia, iron deficiency, Coeliac Disease, Pernicious Anaemia, as well as other related conditions.
The use of Probiotics in gastrointestinal disorders.
Having moved down from London, Dr Moran's interests include the local countryside and any form of sport, whilst much of his time is taken up with his young family.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Carl Moran at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Liver function tests
Locations Dr Carl Moran works with
Dr Moran undertook a three-year period of research into the potential use of probiotics in preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhoea and other complications in elective surgical operations. He was also involved in research into Clostridium difficile infection, liver disease and cirrhosis, as well as surgical outcomes in intensive care, along with prognostic factors following liver transplantation. He has been involved in a number of research publications, some of which include:
- C. Moran, S. Musa, T. Rahman. The Use of Probiotics in the Surgical Patient. European Surgery 2012, 44(2), 91-98.
- Mohammad A. AlFreah, Carl Moran, Matthew Foxton, Mohammed Rela, Nigel Heaton, John G. O'Grady, Julia Wendon, Michael A. Heneghan. An Evaluation of Prognostic Indicators in the Prediction of Outcome Following Liver Retransplantation: A Single Centre Experience, Hepatology 2009, 50 (4) (Suppl), Page 575A: 569
- S.J. Thomson, C. Moran, M.L. Cowan, S. Musa, R. Beale, D. Treacher, M. Hamilton, R.M. Grounds, T.M. Rahman Outcomes of critically ill patients with cirrhosis admitted to intensive care: an important perspective from the nontransplant setting. Aliment Pharmocol Ther. 2010, 32(2), 233-243
- S. Musa, C. Moran, T. Rahman. Clostridium difficile Infection and Liver Disease. Journal of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases 2010, 19(3), 303-310
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG)
- BSG Liver Section
- BSG Endoscopy Section
- Medical Protection Society
Other posts held
- St Richard’s Hospital
- Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital
Insurers Dr Carl Moran works with
Dr Carl Moran works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Carl Moran does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Carl Moran does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Carl Moran does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.