The CQC ensures health and social care services in England provide people with safe, effective, compassionate and high-quality care. The CQC inspectors highlighted the following in their published report:
- Rated as “Well-led” as Outstanding because the provider had implemented strategies to improve patient outcomes.
- Our Sheffield Fitness and Wellbeing Centre had piloted the COVID-19 rehabilitation flagship programme, a charitable programme which was co-developed with NHS partners. Individual patient feedback was extremely positive about the programme with patients stating it had helped their physical and mental recovery, they reported the emotional wellbeing videos were helpful and staff were very supportive and helped to build their confidence and ability to cope better:
- Patient feedback data showed 21% of patients who had completed the programme reported an improvement in quality of life
- 36% reported an improvement in fitness strength
- 27% reported an improvement in functional capacity
- 43% reported an improvement in mental wellbeing
- 6% reported an improvement in breathlessness symptom
- Rated as “Well-led” as Outstanding because the provider had implemented strategies to improve patient outcomes
- The provider's strategy and supporting objectives and plans whilst challenging and innovative remained achievable. Plans were consistently implemented as a result of an ever-changing environment and these had a positive impact on quality and sustainability of services. For example, our Sheffield Fitness and Wellbeing Centre had supported the development of the STAMINA trial over the past 3 years, supporting delivery of the pilot and acting as champions for our newer sites who have since come onboard. The clinical trial is designed to evaluate the effectiveness of a long term supported exercise intervention in men with advanced prostate cancer who have undergone medical castration with androgen deprivation therapy (ADT).
Paul Burnham, our Senior Registered General Manager at our Sheffield Fitness & Wellbeing Centre says: “I am extremely proud for everyone in our Primary Care Clinic team that the CQC have rated the clinic as ‘Outstanding’ for being ‘Well-led’ and ‘Good’ overall. The CQC have clearly recognised the vital contribution our primary care services to our members, patients and healthcare partners within our local community. Thousands of people are still living with the debilitating effects of COVID, including depression, exhaustion, stress and brain fog. The results of our COVID-19 Rehabilitation Programme here in Sheffield and nationally are incredibly encouraging, with the physical and emotional improvements highlighting the importance of taking a connected approach to recovery.”
Our Quality Care Partner, Dan D’Amario, says: “Primary Care Clinics play a vital role in connecting the healthcare of people in local communities. It’s fantastic that our innovative COVID-19 rehabilitation programme, supporting people with the long-term symptoms of COVID, and our STAMINA clinical trial collaboration, supporting men who have prostate cancer, have been highlighted by the CQC. Well done to every member of our Sheffield Fitness and Wellbeing Centre Primary Care Clinic team who has made this achievement possible.”
Last updated Wednesday 9 November 2022
First published on Wednesday 9 November 2022