Your kidneys are a filter for your body - removing waste chemicals and excess fluid from your blood by making urine.
Chronic kidney disease occurs when this filtering function decreases or when there is evidence of kidney damage or a structural abnormality of your kidney.
Damaged kidneys may cause a leakage of protein and/or blood into your urine. Symptoms can range from mild (with minimal or no symptoms) to end-stage renaldisease requiring a kidney transplant. Left untreated, kidney disease can cause a major imbalance in critical minerals your body needs to function.
People who have certain risk factors should be tested for chronic kidney disease including:
- Patients who have diabetes (Types 1 and 2)
- Patients who have high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Patients who have coronary heart disease
- Patients who have kidney disease, kidney stones or enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy – BPH)
- Patients with diseases that involve multiple organs with potential kidney involvement, such as systemic lupus erythematosus
- People with a family history of chronic kidney disease stage 5 or hereditary kidney disease
- Those taking nephrotoxic drugs such as lithium, cyclosporin, diuretics, and long-term non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) drugs.
Your consultant will recommend this assessment based on your own medical history.
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
By car: our hospital is conveniently located just off Junction 12 of the M3 between Southampton and Winchester, with free parking available. By public transport: the nearest train station is Chandlers Ford - a 20 minute train journey from Southampton Central station. The 1 Bluestar bus, which serves Southampton, Chandlers Ford and Winchester, is just 5 minutes’ walk from the hospital.
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more