Wessex Hospital Competition & Markets Authority Declaration
Hospital services provided for consultants
In accordance with the requirements of the Competition & Markets Authority Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the Order) the details of services offered by the hospital to our consultant partners are detailed below.
Consulting rooms are made available to referring clinicians or those that hold practising privileges at the hospital at a rate of £16.00 per hour or part thereof, which represents a fair market rate. Consulting rooms are made available on a non-discriminatory basis and on equivalent terms in accordance with the Order.
Accommodation for consultants’ medical secretarial staff is also made available at this hospital at a rental rate of £275.00 per month, which represents a fair market rate. Such accommodation is provided on a non-discriminatory basis and on equivalent terms in accordance with the Order.
Medical secretarial services are made available to our consultant partners at a rate of £16.50 plus VAT per hour, which represents a fair market rate. Medical secretarial services are provided on a non-discriminatory basis and on equivalent terms in accordance with the Order.
All consultants are invited to attend an Annual General Meeting (AGM). The AGM is hosted offsite and food and drinks are provided. The cost of the event is £50 per head.
Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital invites a number of consultants across our specialties to attend an event at Twickenham Rugby Stadium. The cost is £300 per head and ten tickets are available.
Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital invites a number of consultants across our specialties to attend an cricket event at Ageas Bowl. The cost is £200 per head and ten tickets are available.
The EAG (established in January 2016) supports the development of Nuffield Health’s strategy and policies, providing, on an ad hoc basis, advice on clinical best practice, new technology and procedures, complaints, peer review and also giving specialty-specific expert advice where needed. Advice and requests are coordinated by a central team to ensure the appropriate and fair rotation through the membership of the EAG.
The EAG is constituted from members of Nuffield Health Hospitals’ Medical Societies nominated by peers and hospital management. Members are invited to join the EAG by our Medical Director, Mahmood Shafi.
Where advisory services are requested from and provided to Nuffield Health by EAG consultant members, they are paid a day rate of £1,000 or an hourly rate of £150 plus reasonable expenses incurred.
The members of the EAG from Nuffield Health Wessex hospital are: Dr Mark Wotherspoon, Mr David Anderson, Mr David Warwick, Mr Kenneth Metcalf and Mr Sanjay Sharma
Paid Advisory Roles
To support delivery of clinical services in the hospital, the following consultants hold a paid advisory role for Nuffield Health Wessex hospital:
- Dr Chris James is paid £6,999 per annum for providing advisory services relating to haematology to the Nuffield Health Wessex hospital.
- Dr Matthew Dryden is paid £3999 per annum for providing advisory services relating to microbiology to the Nuffield Health Wessex hospital.
- Dr Heather Barbour is paid £8,000 per annum for providing advisory services relating to biochemistry to the Nuffield Health Wessex hospital.
- Dr Kordo Saeed is paid £3,999 per annum for providing advisory services relating to microbiology to the Nuffield Health Wessex hospital.
- Mr Max Jonas is paid £3,000 per annum for providing advisory services relating to the high dependency unit.
- Dr Praful Patel provides advisory services in support of YAG accreditation to the Nuffield Health Wessex hospital, he is paid £250 for each meeting attendance.
Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital is proud to support medical professionals in their pursuit of continuing professional education. The Hospital’s Medical Society approves grants, made from Nuffield Health resources, in order to advance and ensure clinical safety through consultant attendance at relevant educational conferences and events.
Educational Grants have been awarded to 1 consultant at this hospital to date.
Low value services provided to our Consultant partners at this hospital include:
- Discounted gym membership
- Free parking (subject to availability)
- General corporate hospitality
- General hospital marketing activity
- General services provided to ensure clinical safety
- In-house training
- Insurance or indemnity cover in respect of the treatment of national health service patients
- Mandatory training
- Mini-consultations at patient information events
- Operational services such as patient admission, administrative services and billing
- Patient notes archiving
- Stationery and printing facilities
- Subsidised meals
- Tea, coffee and other soft beverages
Further useful outcome statistics for this hospital can be seen on the Private Healthcare Information Network website at www.phin.org.uk
Nuffield - Consultant Data Processing AgreementThe Data Processing Agreement governing the processing of any personal data in connection with the provision of administrative support services and/or medical records storage by the Hospital for consultants can be accessed here.