The ovaries are part of the female reproductive system and sit either side of the womb.
Ovarian cancer is the fourth most common cancer among women and it largely affects postmenopausal women.
What to look for
Early signs are not always easy to spot, but they may include:
- Bloating or a full feeling in the abdomen
- Pain in the lower abdomen, below the navel
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Back pain
- Passing urine more often
- Pain during sex
If you are concerned about any symptoms, or have a family history of cancer, it may be a good idea to see a gynaecologist regularly to help maintain your healthy lifestyle.
How we can help you with ovarian screening
We can help detect early signs of any ovarian cancer with a combination of tests:
- Ultrasound scan – this scanning uses high frequency sound waves to scan for any cysts on the ovary. This can be done abdominally or vaginally, which can be uncomfortable but not painful
- MRI scan (magnetic resonance imaging) - scanning that uses magnetism to build up a picture of the inside of the body. An MRI can detect any tumours on the ovaries
- CT scan (computerised tomography) – this is a type of X-ray which takes pictures from different angles of the body
- Blood test – a blood test can identify certain conditions that detect the presence of a tumour
Our care extends beyond screening. If any abnormalities are found, our team of experts can plan appropriate treatment. Screening and tests help us predict how well you will respond to treatment. Regular screening is always recommended, as early detection and diagnosis can prevent anything out of the ordinary from becoming more serious.
Note: This does not qualify for the Price Promise below.
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more