Mr Ahmed Talaat started his medical training in 1993 while he was based in Egypt, but it was upon his arrival to London that he started his specialist training. His training took place at the prestigious institutes of St Bartholomew's and the Royal London Hospital, allowing him to work with some of the most respected professors in the field of gynaecology and gynaecological cancer surgery.
Mr Talaat became a research fellow in the Ovarian Cancer Research unit in 1996. His research focused on the screening and early detection of gynaecological cancer and was published in respected national and international journals. He also participated in the UKCTOCS research trial into ovarian cancer screening, the largest screening programme of its type in the world.
He successfully obtained his dual CCT GMC accreditation in 2011, following a structured training in general Obstetrics and Gynaecology since 1996 in London, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Southampton hospitals.
Now practising as a Consultant Gynaecologist and Gynaecological Cancer Surgeon at the University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust since 2012, he holds several key departmental positions reflecting his commitment to forming and shaping best practice in the hospital environment.
Mr Talaat specialises in:
- investigations and treatment of heavy periods and abnormal vaginal bleeding
- investigations and treatment of abdominal and pelvic pains
- abnormal cervix and smears
- ovarian cysts
- care for women with menopausal symptoms
- colposcopy and vulvoscopy
- vulval and vaginal skin diseases, including warts
- gynaecological cancer surgery including keyhole surgery
- early detection and screening of gynaecological pre-cancerous conditions and cancer
- oncology and gynaecological cancer follow-ups
Please note, a referral is required for all new patient appointments. An up-to-date TV/TA scan report will be requested for new appointments where applicable. During your consultation, Mr Talaat may perform a speculum examination.
- General benign and cancerous gynaecological problems
- Heavy periods and menstrual disorders
- Screening, early detection and treatment of gynaecological pre-cancerous and cancer conditions
- Colposcopy and early detection and treatment of cervical cancer
- Vulval and vaginal skin disorders
- Management of women with abnormal bleeding
- Care for women with personal or family history of gynaecological or breast cancer
- Gynaecological cancer surgery
Mr Talaat has a love of music (Paul Mauriat, Andre Rieu and Celine Dion) and plays snooker and table tennis.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ahmed Talaat at Nuffield Health
- Family history screening
- Hormonal coil
- Ovarian screening
- Gynaecological biopsies
- Vulval lesion excision
- Smear test (cervical screening)
- Excision vaginal lumps
- Cold Coagulation
- Hysteroscopic surgery
- Dilation and curettage (D&C)
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Ovarian cystectomy
- Cone biopsy
- The Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists
- British Society of Colposcopy & Cervical Pathology
- British Society of Gynaecological Cancer
Other posts held
- Consultant Gynaecologist, Gynaecological Oncologist and Colposcopist at Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Ahmed Talaat works with
Mr Ahmed Talaat works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- AXA Health
Mr Ahmed Talaat does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ahmed Talaat does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ahmed Talaat does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.