Rezum for benign prostatic hyperplasia at Oxford, The Manor Hospital
Or call us on
Rezūm is a treatment for BPH. It uses the stored thermal energy in water vapor (steam) to treat the extra prostate tissue that is causing symptoms such as frequency, urgency, irregular flow, weak stream, straining and getting up at night to urinate.
What are the benefits of Rezūm?
Benefits of the rezūm procedure include:
- Potential alternative to BPH medications
- Relieves symptoms safely and effectively
- Provides noticeable symptom improvement within two weeks
- Simple in-office/out-patient therapy
- Does not require general anesthesia
- Preserves sexual and urinary functions
- Allows patients to return to regular activities within a few days
Is Rezūm right for me?
The Rezūm System is intended to relieve the symptoms of obstruction and prostate tissue associated with BPH and is indicated for men with prostatic urethra lengths >2 .0 cm and prostate volumes >20 cm3. The Rezūm System is also indicated for treatment of prostates with a median lobe or elevated central zone tissue.
What happens during rezūm procedure?
This system consists of a portable radiofrequency (RF) generator and delivery device that is introduced into the body via the urethra (transurethral approach) and guided by direct visualisation through a telescopic lens placed within the delivery device.
Preparing for the procedure
- Your Consultant may stop anticoagulants, or blood thinners, a few days to a week prior to your procedure
- Antibiotics may be prescribed
- Your Consultant will discuss any pain medications that will be used.
During rezūm procedure
- The actual procedure takes only minutes; however, plan on spending approximately 2 hours for the entire appointment
- You will receive pain medication prescribed by your Consultant for the procedure
- Plan to have a driver for your appointment unless your Consultant tells you that you can drive yourself home.
Recovery from rezūm procedure
- After your procedure, continue oral antibiotics for 3 to 5 days as prescribed by your Consultant.
- Your Consultant may recommend a catheter for a few days to ease urination during healing.
- Avoid activities that may irritate your prostate. Speak to your Consultant for specific recommendations. Within a few days, you will be able to resume normal activities and will experience noticeable symptom improvement in as soon as two weeks.
Rezum for benign prostatic hyperplasia consultants at Oxford, The Manor Hospital
Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7RP
Our car park is now managed by EURO CARPARKS. Patients and visitors are required to input their car registration in to the panels located in the main reception areas to avoid a fine. Parking T&Cs are detailed on signs in the car park.
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more