Breast lipomodelling at Oxford, The Manor Hospital
Or call us on
Breast lipomodelling is a technique which involves transferring fat from a donor site (such as the abdominal wall or thighs) to the breast.
Why do people choose breast lipomodelling?
Breast lipomodelling is used for correcting defects left after previous breast surgery. It can also be used for breast augmentation (enlargement).
This technique is growing in popularity as it is safe, relatively complication-free and can be repeated until the breast has reached the desired appearance and size.
What happens during breast lipomodelling surgery?
The first stage of lipomodelling is liposuction. This is performed under general anaesthetic.
After the fat has been liposucted, a special machine is used to spin this fat at high speed (centrifuged). The 'pure' fat cells are re-injected back into the breast to either correct a defect left from prior breast surgery or to add volume to the breast for breast enlargement.
The procedure takes 90 minutes to perform.
Advantages of breast lipomodelling:
- Minimally invasive - patients are left with incisions of just a couple of millimetres in length.
- An alternative for patients who would like larger breasts but don't want implants.
Preparing for breast lipomodelling surgery
Following some simple steps can help your surgery go smoothly.
- Maintaining a healthy weight can help patients avoid further complications.
- Regular exercise can also help (but make sure you consult your GP or specialist first).
- There should be no shaving or waxing of the area to be cut in the week leading up to the operation.
- Having a bath or shower on the day of the operation is a good idea.
Going home after breast lipomodelling surgery
- You should be able to go home within 24 hours of your surgery. You may need to stay overnight.
- You might be required to wear a special supportive bra for several weeks to help your breasts settle after the procedure.
- You will need someone to take you home.
- You should be able to drive after a week.
- Most women return to normal activities within two to three weeks.
- Depending on your type of job you should be able to return to work after the first week.
- You should be able to do a limited amount of activity, such as lifting young children, after about two weeks.
- It usually takes a few weeks for your breasts to look and feel more natural.
How long do the results of breast lipomodelling last?
The results of breast lipomodelling usually last for a long time. Around 80% of the fat 'takes', which means that over time some fat may shrink away. For this reason, your consultant may suggest more than one episode of lipomodelling for the best results.
Who is breast lipomodelling not suitable for?
- Smokers should not have lipomodelling. The harvested fat cells rely on small blood vessels within the breast to survive. As these small blood vessels can become furred up over time in smokers, they have significantly more complications and worse results after this procedure.
- Patients of a slender build may not have enough fat that can be harvested to re-inject back into the breast. In this instance, an alternative to lipomodelling for breast augmentation is to use implants.
What are the complications of breast lipomodelling?
Every surgical procedure carries some degree of risk. The risks of breast lipomodelling include:
- bruising over the donor site (ie. the abdomen or thighs
- infection at the recipient site (the breast)
- fat necrosis (where the injected fat can 'die off', leaving lumpy areas in the breast)
Your consultant will discuss all of these risks with you during your consultation.
Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7RP
Our car park is now managed by EURO CARPARKS. Patients and visitors are required to input their car registration in to the panels located in the main reception areas to avoid a fine. Parking T&Cs are detailed on signs in the car park.
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more