Male breast reduction surgery in Guildford
At Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital our experienced cosmetic surgeons are experts in male breast reduction surgery (gynaecomastia). Our consultants can offer you expert advice as well as rapid access to treatment. Read more…
Contact our cosmetic experts in Guildford
Email us or request a call back
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Why choose Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital for your male breast reduction surgery?
If you are unhappy with the appearance of your chest, you may be suitable for a male breast reduction. Forty to sixty percent of men experience breast tissue enlargement. Changes in hormone levels as you grow older and weight gain can contribute to developing gynaecomastia. Informally this is often referred to as "moobs".
If you have noticed changes in this area, you may feel embarrassed physically and psychologically distressed. You shouldn’t underestimate the effect this condition could have on your self-confidence. But, be assured, we have treatments that can help you.
At Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital, our experienced cosmetic surgeons are here to help and offer rapid access to male breast reduction surgery and liposuction. Our recent hospital refurbishment has transformed our private inpatient rooms; fully equipping them with en-suite bathrooms, widescreen TV's, modern decor and free wireless internet connectivity.
By choosing us for your surgery, you can rest assured that patient confidentially, comfort and excellent care are our paramount priority. If you are unsure about male breast reduction surgery and whether it is suitable for you, feel free to call our experts in Guildford or attend one of our cosmetic open events. Here you will get the opportunity to meet one of our consultants in person and ask any questions you have.
What can be done?
When you see your consultant they may recommend weight loss in the first instance. However if your gynaecomastia is caused by breast tissue overdevelopment, weight loss will not resolve the problem.
What happens during male breast reduction surgery at Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital?
- Breast reduction surgery takes 60-90 minutes and is usually performed under general anaesthetic as a day case. In some cases, an overnight hospital stay is required.
- Your surgeon will make an incision around the areola (dark area around the nipple) and remove excess fatty tissue.
- Liposuction may be used however if there is a large amount of fatty tissue other incisions may be necessary.
- Your nipples may need to be repositioned.
- Bandages will be applied to support your breasts and control swelling. You will be given pain relief medication.
Going home after your male breast reduction in Guildford
- Your breasts may be bruised and swollen
- After a few days, the bandages can be removed. However, you may be asked to wear a supporting garment for 4-6 weeks to support your breasts and compress your chest
- Any scars may appear red and raised. These will fade over time
- You will need to take a week off work to fully recover
- You should avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks after surgery.
A guide to the stages of recovery post male breast reduction surgery:
- You may have some discomfort for a week. Mild painkillers will help with this but avoid taking aspirin
- Keep walking around to avoid post operative complications
- Support garment worn day and night for up to 3 weeks.
- Might pull and hurt a little when you move around
- Any non dissolvable stitches will be removed
- Gradually begin to increase your activity
- You may be able to return to work if your job does not involve strenuous activity or heavy lifting.
- Bruising and swelling fades
- No longer need to wear support garment
- Return to work and resume most normal activities
- No strenuous activity or exercise yet.
- Resume exercise
- You can begin to judge the result
- Avoid exposing the treated area to direct sunlight for 6 months
It can take up to 6 months before the full result of your surgery is visible.
Specific complications of male breast reduction (gynaecomastia) may include:
- Bruising and swelling
- Developing lumps or swelling (further surgery may be required)
- Nerve damage.
To achieve the best results from any type of plastic surgery, whether it is breast enhancement, liposuction, a face lift or tummy tuck, it is important to do your research first. Mr Darren Lewis provides some tips for what to ask before surgery.