At Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital, our upper limb orthopaedic surgeons specialise in shoulder replacement surgery and can provide you with rapid access to surgery.
Why choose Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital for your shoulder replacement surgery?
At Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital our expert upper limb orthopaedic surgeons excel in shoulder replacement surgery. With a personalised treatment plan tailored to you, our skilled orthopaedic surgeons will be with you every step of the way, from your initial consultation right through to your aftercare.
Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital has been leading the way for private healthcare in West Sussex for over 20 years. Since opening in 1992 we been home to some of the most acclaimed orthopaedic surgeons in the South East. Our first class service and unrivalled primary care allow us to deliver excellent surgical outcomes for a range of upper and lower limb procedures.
Our hospital is conveniently located on the outer edge of Chichester's historic city centre, we offer plenty of free on-site parking and are easily accessible though local public transport.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Chichester Hospital
If you are suffering from shoulder pain and want to discuss your treatment options with one of our consultants in Chichester, you will need to book a private consultation via our dedicated enquiry team on 01243 753 010. Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging needed.
What happens during shoulder replacement surgery in Chichester?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours. Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling. Most patients stay in hospital 1 – 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after shoulder replacement
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any pain killers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile
- Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise
- It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement
- Range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
With any surgical procedure there can be complications including:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke.
Specific complications of shoulder replacement include:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
78 Broyle Road, Chichester, PO19 6WB
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more