Facelift surgery in Cheltenham
Are you concerned about your face showing the signs of ageing? Have you ever considered facelift surgery? Find out more about the types of facelift procedures offered at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital, performed by our industry leading cosmetic surgeons. Read more…
Contact our cosmetic surgery experts in Cheltenham
Fill in the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, GL51 6SY
Why choose Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital for your facelift surgery?
Facelift surgery is becoming an increasingly popular cosmetic treatment, especially with women. The procedure tightens the skin around the face and neck area, resulting in a more youthful appearance. At Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital our specialist cosmetic surgeons excel in a range of cosmetic procedures including facelift surgery and provide patients with the aesthetic outcomes they desire.
Choosing whether to undergo a cosmetic procedure can be a difficult decision. That is why we insist that you partake in a private consultation with one of our expert cosmetic surgeons, who will enlighten you on the risks and what to expect from your facelift procedure. After all aspects of the procedure have been discussed with your consultant, you will be better informed to make a decision regarding your treatment.
By choosing to have your cosmetic treatment with Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital, you can rest assured that you will be in the best possible hands. Our approach to private healthcare ensures that you you will receive the attention you need and deserve with no hidden costs and no time limit on your aftercare.
If you would like to learn more about facelift surgery or another cosmetic treatment, please come along to one of our free cosmetic open events. Here you will get the opportunity to meet one of our cosmetic surgeons and ask any questions you may have.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital
If you are considering facelift surgery you will need to have a private consultation before proceeding with any treatment. Call our dedicated hospital enquiry team in Cheltenham today on 01242 246552, or fill out a contact form and we will find you an appointment time that works for you.
What happens during a facelift operation?
A facelift is usually performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes two to three hours. The surgical technique will depend on what area is being lifted.
SMAS facelift - Your surgeon will make an incision on both sides of your face in the hairline around your ears. They will cut under the deeper layer of tough tissue (superficial musculo-aponeurotic system or SMAS layer), lifting and tightening it. Your surgeon will then tighten the skin towards your ears and remove any excess skin.
MACS facelift - The MACS (Minimal Access Cranial Suspension) face lift involves a smaller incision eliminating any scarring behind the ear. Your surgeon will tighten the SMAS layer with special suspension stitches to avoid cutting underneath it. MACS face lift involves less surgery but the results may not last as long as an SMAS facelift.
Mid-facelift - A mid facelift addresses the area below your lower eyelids over the cheekbone. Your surgeon will make small cuts along your hairline and either inside your mouth or in your lower eyelid. They will use special surgical instruments and stitches to lift the cheeks.
- Once you have recovered from the anaesthetic, you will be encouraged to sit up in bed
- Sitting upright will help to reduce some of the swelling
- Your face is likely to feel tight and tender around the ears
- However, there should not be any severe pain and this will be controlled with simple analgesia
- You may feel drowsy following surgery
- Expect to wake up and doze off for the remainder of the day
- You may have a bandage around your head and under your chin after surgery
- We will remove it the day after your surgery
- Small, thin tubes (drains) may be temporarily inserted in the wounds
- You are likely to stay in hospital overnight
- You may be given a support garment to wear after your bandages are removed.
What happens during a mini facelift?
- A mini facelift is usually performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes between 1 and 2 hours
- Your surgeon in Cheltenham will numb the area in front or just behind your ears
- They will make a few small incisions in front or behind your ears and (depending on the extent of lift needed) along your hairline
- They will extend and tighten the skin where needed
- Your wounds will be closed using very fine stitches.
Going home after your facelift at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital
- You may experience swelling and bruising following your face lift
- You may feel tightness when opening your mouth
- Your surgeon in Cheltenham may ask you to sleep upright for the first few days to keep swelling under control
- Stitches can be removed after 10 to 14 days
- Be sure and discuss your return to work with your surgeon
- At around four weeks you will be feeling more like your “normal” self
- However the full effect of a facelift may not be visible for 6 to 9 months after the procedure.
Guide to stages of recovery from facelift surgery
Days 1 - 4
- Swelling is at its worst days 2 and 3 after surgery
- Sleep upright in bed supported by pillows. Icepacks will be soothing
- Wear any support garment as instructed
- Take things easy for now.
5 - 14 days
- Gradually increase your activity but nothing too strenuous
- Light housework and gentle walks are fine
- Stitches around the ear will be removed.
- Any remaining staples will be removed
- You can think About returning to work after two weeks
- Continue to Wear support garment at night.
- All the visible swelling and bruising should have gone by now
- Should be able to remove any support garment
- Restart any exercise you do.
6 - 9 months
- Scars will soften and fade
- Final result can begin to be judged.
Specific complications of a facelift may include:
- Loss of skin or hair
- Developing a collection of blood under the skin
- Developing pale or dark areas on your face
- Damage to the facial nerve
- Cosmetic problems.
Many people find they start to develop a sagging jawline as they get older. Discover the best solutions, from cosmetic surgery to dermal fillers.