Are you suffering from prolonged neck pain? If so, you may have damaged or diseased cervical discs causing intense pressure on surrounding nerves. At Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital our spinal experts provide cervical disc replacement surgery.
Why choose Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital
Wear and tear or injury in your neck can result in a narrowing of your spinal cord. Pressure on the nerves in this area can cause severe pain. At Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital our leading spinal surgeons perform cervical disc replacement (an alternative to traditional spinal decompression) which uses surgical implants to replace your damaged or diseased cervical discs.
Patients who decide to undertake their spinal treatment at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital get the benefit of relaxing in our first-class private patient rooms before surgery and during recovery. Each room features a widescreen TV, spacious en-suite bathroom, radio and unlimited wireless internet connectivity to maximise comfort and entertainment.
Our hospital chefs will also ensure that your dietary requirements are fulfilled throughout your admission at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital. Freshly cooked meals are served throughout the day, and patients get to choose their nutritious meals from our varied menu.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital
If you are suffering from neck pain and want to discuss your treatment options with one of our spinal consultants in Brentwood, you will need to book a private consultation via our dedicated enquiry team on 01277 695 695.
Please let our hospital enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging needed.
What happens during cervical disc replacement?
- Cervical disc replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The procedure can take several hours
- Your surgeon will make an incision (cut) in the side or front of your neck. They will carefully access the disc to be replaced and remove it
- A surgical implant will be inserted to replace the diseased disc
- Your incision will be closed with stitches and a small dressing will cover your wound
- You may need to wear a neck collar.
After your cervical disc replacement surgery
- Immediately after your surgery, you will be taken to the recovery area. Staff will monitor your blood pressure, heart rate and breathing. If you are in any pain be sure and tell the recovery room staff
- When you are stable, a nurse will take you to your room
- Once you are back in your room, our nursing team will continue to check on you to make sure you are recovering well. After you’ve recovered from any effects of the anaesthetic, you can have something to eat and drink
- Within a few hours, we will help you get out of bed and begin moving around on your own. You may need to spend 1-2 nights in hospital
- Before you leave hospital a physiotherapist will show you how to go about your daily routine without putting any stress on your neck
- There may be restrictions on bending or lifting.
Going home after cervical disc replacement
- You will not be able to drive until released to do so by your consultant. Please arrange for someone to drive you home after discharge
- Your consultant will advise you on what activities you can do. Follow any restrictions given to you by the physiotherapist
- Continue to take any pain medication as prescribed
- Wear your neck collar as instructed. Keep your surgical wound clean and dry
- You may be referred to physiotherapy to help you slowly increase your activity level
- Discuss any return to work with your consultant.
Most people make a good recovery from cervical disc replacement. As with any procedure, there can be
- Blood clots (deep vein thrombosis – DVT)
- Reaction to anaesthetic
Specific complications of cervical disc replacement may include:
- Nerve damage
- Difficulty swallowing
- Hoarse voice
- Continued symptoms
- Spinal injury (rare).
Shenfield Road, Brentwood, CM15 8EH
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more