Yvonne works with Gastroenterologists, Surgeons and GPs in Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Worcestershire. She has been helping private patients since January 2007, who can self-refer.
She worked in the NHS between 1998 – 2008, mostly in Oxfordshire (JR, The Churchill and the Horton General Hospital) providing inpatient and outpatient dietetic care.
Yvonne’s expertise is in IBS and other medically unexplained gut symptoms, using the low FODMAP diet for symptom improvement or in identifying other food intolerances. Her most recent audit (February 2011 - November 2012) showed a success rate of 80%: 70% of individuals had symptom resolution, 10% had partial improvement and 20% had no change in their functional gut symptoms after using the low FODMAP diet for 4 weeks.
Yvonne is the lead author in the UK’s guidelines for the dietary management of IBS in adults, in which the evidence relating to symptom improvement and diet was systematically reviewed and an IBS dietetic care pathway was produced. She has actively supported their dissemination through local and national conferences, lecturing and writing (for GPs: see NAPC Review, autumn/winter 2012: IBS dietary management: new approaches). She is recognised by the Department of Health as a national Allied Health Professions clinical expert in IBS.
Yvonne provides specialist dietetic care and treatment to adults with gastrointestinal disorders or diseases, primarily:
- IBS and functional gastrointestinal disorders: first-line dietary intervention, second-line: low FODMAP diet
- Coeliac disease and non-coeliac disease gluten sensitivity: gluten free diet
- Food intolerances (e.g. lactose, fructose, histamines)
- Constipation, prevention of colorectal cancer: lifestyle/dietary fibre modification
- Reflux and obesity: lifestyle/dietary intervention
- Dietary assessment and intervention: other GI diseases/disorders (e.g. pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy), low calcium or iron intake, under nutrition, healthy eating/lifestyle
As diet expert, contributed to: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Quality Standards (Feb. 2016) and updated guidance for the diagnosis and management of IBS (CG61, Feb. 2015).
Treatments and tests offered by Ms Yvonne McKenzie at Nuffield Health
- McKenzie Y.A., Bowyer R.K., Leach H., Gulia P., Horobin J., O'Sullivan N.A., Pettitt C., Reeves L.B., Seamark L., Williams M., Thompson J. & Lomer M.C.E. (2016) British Dietetic Association systematic review and evidence-based practice guidelines for the dietary management of irritable bowel syndrome in adults (2016 update). J Hum Nutr Diet. doi:10.1111/jhn.12385
- McKenzie Y.A., Thompson J., Gulia P. & Lomer M.C.E. (2016) British Dietetic Association systematic review of systematic reviews and evidence-based practice guidelines for the use of probiotics in the management of irritable bowel syndrome in adults (2016 update). J Hum Nutr Diet. doi: 10.1111/jhn.12386
- British Dietetic Association Manual of Dietetic Practice, 5th edition (2014 Wiley Blackwell): chapter on irritable bowel syndrome, p460-466 - Dietetic and Nutrition Case Studies (2016, Wiley Blackwell): chapter on irritable bowel syndrome, p62-65
- McKenzie Y.A., Alder A., Anderson W., Wills A., Goddard L., Gulia P., Jankovich E., Mutch P., Reeves L.B., Singer A. & Lomer M.C.E. on behalf of Gastroenterology Specialist Group of the British Dietetic Association (2012) British Dietetic Association evidence-based practice guidelines for the dietary management of irritable bowel syndrome in adults. J. Hum. Nutr. Diet. 25, 260–274.
- Health and Care Professions Council
- British Dietetic Association
- Gastroenterology Specialist Group of the BDA
- Food Allergy and Intolerance Specialist Group of the BDA
- Sports Nutrition Specialist Group of the BDA
- British Society of Gastroenterology
Other post held
- Private Clinical Practice Dietitian
- IBS Clinical lead for the Gastroenterology Specialist Group of the BDA
Ms Yvonne McKenzie does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Ms Yvonne McKenzie does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Ms Yvonne McKenzie does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.