Mr Higgs graduated from Bristol University School of Medicine in 1996 and, after house jobs, spent a year in Perth, Western Australia. His basic surgical training rotation was in Exeter followed by a period of research at the Bristol Royal Infirmary, under Professor Derek Alderson, investigating the role of endoscopic ultrasound guided FNA in oesophageal cancer management.
He completed higher surgical training on the South West rotation with extensive general surgery, bariatric and oesophagogastric cancer experience.
Gloucestershire Hospitals is a designated centre for NHS bariatric services and the designated resection centre for oesophagogastric cancer resections for the three counties cancer network.
Upper gastrointestinal cancer staging and surgery, weight loss surgery, endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) for oesophagogastric and pancreaticobiliary disorders, management of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, advanced laparoscopic surgery, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, laparoscopic management of gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs), laparoscopic management of gallbladder and bile duct stones.
Cooking, snowboarding and golf
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Simon Higgs at Nuffield Health
- Bile duct resection
- Hernia repair
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Excision of skin lesion
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) guided FNA in oesophageal cancer
- Keyhole surgery simulators in surgical training
- Management of achalasia
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
- International Federation for Surgery of Obesity
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgery of Great Britian and Ireland
Other post held
- Consultant General and Upper GI Surgeon Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Three Counties Cancer Network Upper GI NSSG Research Lead
- Upper GI Clinical Governance Lead
- Core member of three counties upper GI cancer MDT
Insurers Mr Simon Higgs works with
Mr Simon Higgs works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Simon Higgs does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Simon Higgs does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Simon Higgs does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.