Mr Barksfield is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with a specialist interest in Hip and Knee Surgery.
He completed his Medical Training at Imperial College London in 2006 and undertook undergraduate training in Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
Mr Barksfield spent the early years of his career working in Surrey and West London prior to commencing surgical training in Gloucestershire through which he completed the Cambridge Orthopaedic Rotation and subsequently the prestigious Bristol Orthopaedic Rotation gaining Fellowship to the Royal College of Surgeons.
Mr Barksfield undertook advanced fellowship training in Hip and Knee Surgery at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford, an Institution with a world class reputation, and is a life member of the Girdlestones Orthopaedic Society. He has also completed an advanced fellowship in trauma at Southmead Hospital, the Major Trauma centre for the South-West, specialising in the management of the traumatised lower limb.
His NHS practice is based at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and he consults and operates privately at the Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital.
- Weekly Wednesday AM
- Alternative days available by arrangement via secretary
- Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Sports injuries
- Ligament reconstruction
- Meniscus repair
- ACL reconstruction
- Keyhole surgery
- Cartilage repair
- Partial knee replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Revision total knee replacement
- Patellofemoral replacement
- Arthritis surgery in the young active adult
Mr Barksfield has received a number of awards for
academic and clinical excellence:
- Honours for Clinical Clerkship in Orthopaedics Harvard Medical School
- Bristol Orthopaedic Registrars Research Prize
- South West Orthopaedic Club Research Prize
- Dual Merits in Medicine and Surgery Imperial College London, 2006
- The Girdlestones Orthopaedic Society
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Regional Organisation of Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Services
- Expert Witness Selection in Medical Litigation
- Translational deformity following lower limb re-alignment surgery
- Improving outcomes in Orthopaedic
DeclarationMr Richard Barksfield works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Richard Barksfield does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Richard Barksfield does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Richard Barksfield does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.