Mr Mike O’Connell is a renowned Consultant
Surgeon with more than 20 years of experience in the field of nose and ear reconstruction, as well as cosmetic rhinoplasty and pinnaplasty.
Training at centres of excellence in London in both ear, nose and throat (ENT) and facial plastic surgery, he then complimented this extensive training by winning scholarships to work and learn with the leading surgeons in France, Germany and America. This included a Fellowship from the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery. He undertook his research thesis at the University of Sussex and was subsequently awarded the Royal Society of Medicine prize for this body of work. Since then, he has published widely on a number of topics including rhinoplasty and facial surgery.
Mr O'Connell is a Consultant ENT Surgeon to University Hospitals Sussex (previously Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals), seeing a wide range of adult and paediatric problems in clinic, with a specialist interest in diseases of the nose, nasal reconstruction, nasal aesthetic surgery and children's ENT problems. He practises at hospitals throughout Sussex and is a Senior Lecturer at Brighton & Sussex Medical School.
He maintains an active involvement in his chosen field of rhinoplasty and conditions of the nose and travels internationally to learn new techniques and stay at the forefront of modern nose surgery. He attends national and international centres to further his specialist knowledge in this rapidly expanding field and is keen to embrace new ideas and techniques. He also lectures at national courses on rhinoplasty and trains surgeons in this specialist field.
Mr O'Connell specialises in providing 'natural-looking' noses and is meticulous in his preparation prior to surgery. He will listen to your concerns in an open, relaxed and confidential setting and can provide computer-generated images of how the surgery will improve your nose. His background as a nose surgeon provides the expertise and experience to manage the whole of the nose, allowing him to provide a better and long-lasting improvement.
Mr O'Connell has a special interest in:
- Pinnaplasty – protruding ears
- Nose surgery (nasal blockage, deviated septum, septoplasty, turbinate surgery)
- Nose trauma
- Nose skin lesions
- Sinus disease and surgery (nasal polypectomy, endoscopic sinus surgery, balloon sinuplasty)
- Allergic nose conditions
- Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (blocked ears)
- Children's ENT problems including sleep apnoea, tonsillitis, coblation tonsillotomy, adenoids, glue ear, hearing loss, perforated eardrum and repair, nose injury, ear infections and tinnitus
- All general ENT problems
- Nasal cosmetic surgery – rhinoplasty/septorhinoplasty
- Protruding ears – pinnaplasty/otoplasty
- Nasal skin lesions – excision & repair
- Ear skin lesions – excision & repair
- Split ear lobes – repair
- Ear problems: hearing loss, vertigo, tinnitus, perforated eardrums and blocked ears
Michael O'Connell lives in Brighton, enjoys Sussex life and is a keen family man. His cultural interests include theatre, cinema, art and music. Sporting pastimes involve skiing, running, swimming, and cycling.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Michael O’Connell at Nuffield Health
- Ear pinning cosmetic surgery (Pinnaplasty)
- Rhinoplasty (or nose reshaping)
- Deviated septum (Septoplasty)
Michael O'Connell has published widely and pursued original research.
His thesis on antibiotic toxicity and the ear was awarded the Otology prize by the Royal Society of Medicine.
Other papers are on facial plastic topics, rhinoplasty and he has also translated research works from German to English.
Recently he has written the NHS website guidance on ear reshaping and pinnaplasty.
- British Medical Association
- Medical Defence Union
- ENT UK
- European Academy of Facial Surgeons
- British Rhinoplasty Society
Other posts held
- Consultant ENT and Facial Plastic Surgeon, University Hospitals Sussex
- Senior Lecturer, Brighton and Sussex Medical School
- Impact UK trustee
Insurers Mr Michael O’Connell works with
Mr Michael O’Connell works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Michael O’Connell has the following interest in this hospital/ another Nuffield Health hospital or the company:
Mr Michael O'Connell is the Medical Advisory Committee Chair for Nuffield Health Haywards Heath Hospital. No remuneration is paid for this role, however, the use of medical secretary services, administrative accommodation and a consulting room used in connection with it are not charged for. Services used in connection with the provision of Mr Michael O'Connell's private practice are charged at market rates.
Mr Michael O’Connell does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Michael O’Connell does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.