Mr. Stodell is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon, specialising in the surgical management of skin cancer. He holds a substantive position at the Royal London Hospital, Barts Health NHS Trust, and is clinical lead for the Specialist Skin Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team (SSMDT) of East London, Barking and Havering. He is Clinical Governance Lead for the plastic surgery department.
Mr Stodell was awarded MBChB from the University of Manchester in 2003. He completed a Master’s degree in Trauma Surgery (MSc with Merit) at Swansea University. His plastic surgery career began in 2007 and continued at multiple prestigious units in the UK and abroad.
In 2015, he was awarded the international Poche Surgical Fellowship at the Melanoma Institute Australia. This experience honed his skills in surgical oncology and enabled him to contribute to academic research, authoring peer-reviewed publications and book chapters on melanoma.
In 2018, he received his FRCS (Plast), and appointment to the GMC Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery.
He has lectured at notable institutions such as the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre and Royal College of Physicians.
His clinical interests include management of various forms of skin malignancies, excision of benign skin lesions and reconstruction of skin defects from Mohs’ micrographic surgery.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Matthew Stodell at Nuffield Health
- Skin surgery
- Reconstructive surgery
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Trauma reconstruction
- Sentinel node biopsy in patients with melanoma improves the accuracy of staging when added to clinicopathological features of the primary tumor. El Sharouni MA, Stodell MD, et al. Ann Oncol. 2021 Mar;32(3):375-383. doi: 10.1016/j.annonc.2020.11.015. Epub 2020 Nov 28.
- Melanoma patient imaging in the era of effective systemic therapies. Stodell MD, Thompson JF et al. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017 Aug;43(8):1517-1527. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2017.05.014.
- Surgical Reconstruction of melanoma. Varey, Rtshiladze, Stodell and Stretch. Melanoma Principles & Practice, iBook Edition 1.1, Melanoma Institute Australia
- General Medical Council
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Melanoma Focus
Other posts held
- Royal London Hospital, Barts Health NHS Trust – Consultant Plastic Surgeon
Insurers Mr Matthew Stodell works with
Mr Matthew Stodell works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- AXA Health
- Bupa Global
- Bupa On Demand
- Cigna International
- Healix Healthcare
- Police Mutual
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Matthew Stodell does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Matthew Stodell does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Matthew Stodell does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.