Mr Jahangir (Jay) Ahmed is a consultant specialising in laryngology, head, neck and thyroid surgery who practises at Barts Health and University College Hospitals NHS Trusts. He is the current clinical lead for ENT at Barts Health and an integral member of the Barts Thyroid and Head and Neck Cancer groups.
He was educated at Kings College, Cambridge University where he achieved the Harmer prize for Medicine. He completed clinical education at Imperial College, London, graduating with the Gold-medal in Pathology. He trained in London’s premiere ENT teaching hospitals, during which time he was awarded competitive research fellowships from The Welcome Trust and The Barts and London Charity, culminating in a PhD in molecular oncology from The Barts Cancer Institute.
Mr Ahmed is an expert in the surgical management of benign and malignant head and neck tumours of all subsites including tonsil, pharynx, larynx, salivary gland and thyroid. He is also highly trained in managing voice, complex airway and swallowing problems. Uniquely, he runs a tertiary level practice in the surgical management of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) refractory to continuous positive airway pressure.
He is skilled in endoscopic sinus surgery, transoral (scarless, through-the-mouth) laser and robotic surgery, with one of the highest-volume transoral robotic surgical practices in the UK.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Jahangir Ahmed at Nuffield Health
- Deviated septum (Septoplasty)
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS)
- Ear drum repair (Myringoplasty)
- Antral washout
- Thyroid surgery (thyroidectomy)
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Adult audiology hearing aid provision
- Microsuction of ear canal
- Submandibular gland removal
- Head and neck surgery
- Tonsil removal (tonsillectomy) using COBLATION™ Plasma Technology
- Balloon Sinuplasty
- Nasal polypectomy
- Larynx diagnostic endoscopy
Mr Ahmed has a keen research interest in minimally invasive transoral surgery and molecular treatment of cancers. He is an honorary clinical lecturer at Queen Mary University of London. He is widely published, thus far with 30 publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals and 12 book chapters in respected surgical, clinical and scientific textbooks. His research and clinical experience are regularly presented at national and international meetings.
- Minimal access head and neck oncologic resections: facilitated by Transoral laser and Transoral robotic surgery.
- Surgical management of obstructive sleep apnoea refractory to CPAP / other conservative measures.
- Molecular treatment of cancers, oncologic immunotherapy and virotherapy.
- Surgical management of complex voice and airway obstructive disorders.
- ENT UK
Other posts held
- Consultant ENT and Head and Neck Surgeon at Barts Health NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Jahangir Ahmed works with
Mr Jahangir Ahmed works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Jahangir Ahmed does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Jahangir Ahmed does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Jahangir Ahmed does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.