Dr Vanessa Snowdon-Carr is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital. After qualifying as a clinical psychologist at the University of Cardiff in 2002, Vanessa worked in a range of mental and physical health settings. In 2007 she began to work with obesity and bariatric surgery before moving to lead a psychology service across NHS specialist weight management and bariatric surgery teams in Somerset. Having now left the NHS, she is continuing to work as a clinician while also a co-director for eWeightloss.
Vanessa understands that change is more complex than simply doing, or not doing something and so in her work she uses different therapeutic approaches to understand the blocks and barriers, as well as the values and drivers for an individual.
She has completed further training in a range of therapeutic models, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Cognitive Analytic Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, and Compassion Focussed Therapy. She works with individuals, couples and groups.
As a strong advocate for obesity, and the appropriate as well as respectful support for individuals, Vanessa has written and presented on the subject and been involved with generating national and international best practice guidelines.
Outside of work, Vanessa loves being with her family, walking (trying to coax a less than enthusiastic dog!), running and swimming in the sea. She dabbles in various crafts as a way of unwinding.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Vanessa Snowdon-Carr at Nuffield Health
- Weight loss surgery
- Snowdon-Carr, V., 2019. Psychological Approaches in the Treatment of Obesity. Paolo Sbraccia, p.349.
- Snowdon-Carr V. Psychological Issues Before and After Bariatric Surgery. In Obesity, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery 2016 (pp. 643-652). Springer, Cham.
- Snowdon‐Carr V. Using psychological approaches for working with obesity and type 2 diabetes. Practical Diabetes. 2016 Sep;33(7):248-52b.
- Ogden J, Ratcliffe D, Snowdon-Carr V. British Obesity Metabolic Surgery Society endorsed guidelines for psychological support pre-and post-bariatric surgery. Clin Obes. 2019; 9 (6): e12339. Epub 2019 Sep 11. Review. PubMed PMID: 31512398
- Welbourn R, Hopkins J, Dixon JB, Finer N, Hughes C, Viner R, Wass J, Guidance Development Group. Commissioning guidance for weight assessment and management in adults and children with severe complex obesity. Obesity reviews. 2018 Jan;19(1):14-27.
- Health Care Professions Council
- British Psychological Society
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
Other post held
- eWeightloss Surgery Ltd. Co-Director and Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Dr Vanessa Snowdon-Carr does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Vanessa Snowdon-Carr does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Vanessa Snowdon-Carr does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.