Dr Jamie Bentham is a Consultant Cardiologist accredited in the practice of congenital heart disease. He trained in medicine at the University of Oxford where he also completed his doctoral research in cardiovascular genetics. He has worked at many heart centres including Liverpool, Oxford and Great Ormond Street before moving to complete an intervention fellowship in Leeds and Boston Children’s, USA. Jamie took up a consultant post in intervention cardiology in Leeds in 2014 where he is an associate professor. He cares for patients with paediatric and adult congenital heart disease.
Dr Jamie Bentham provides a full range of diagnostic cardiac services for children. He also spends half of his time caring for adult patients with known or more recently found to have an underlying congenital heart problem.
Alongside diagnostic services including echocardiography Jamie’s main area of expertise is in cardiac catheterisation in congenital heart disease. He now leads one of the largest congenital catheter programs in the UK and is one of the largest UK operators. These procedures allow patients to be treated for many different heart problems without the need for an open-heart operation. Catheter work includes atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale closure as well as diagnostic and valve work.
Jamie continues to contribute to outcome research nationally and internationally where he has published extensively. Jamie leads the high-risk neonatal program for single ventricle patients at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
Dr Jamie Bentham’s practice covers:
- Cardiology-congenital heart disease including Paediatric cardiology and adult congenital heart disease
- Children's and neonatal cardiac
- Cardiology in young adults
- Structural and congenital transcatheter intervention (e.g. atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale closure, valvuloplasty, coarctation stenting etc)
- Syncopal episodes
- Tachy/Bradyarrhythmia (palpitations)
- Holter monitoring
- Bubble study echocardiograms
Interventional Cardiac Catheterisation in children and adults with congenital heart disease.
Jamie is a keen sailor and has three children. He enjoys walking, running and cycling in the Dales.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr James R Bentham at Nuffield Health
- PFO closure
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Event monitor
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
- Neonatal medicine
- Paediatric medicine
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Interventional cardiology
- DPhil in molecular and cardiovascular genetics
- 5 book chapters
- 57 publications in peer reviewed journals
- British Congenital Cardiac Association
Other posts held
- Leeds Teaching Hospital NHS Trust
Insurers Dr James R Bentham works with
Dr James R Bentham works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr James R Bentham does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr James R Bentham does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr James R Bentham does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.