Simplest rhubarb crumble
Studies have also linked rhubarb in the diet to reduced cholesterol levels.
- 10 sticks of rhubarb
- 4 tbsp water
- 8 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 110g butter, softened
- 110g demerara sugar
- 180-200g flour
- Greek style low fat yoghurt (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Cut the rhubarb into 71⁄2cm/3in long sticks and place on an oven tray. Sprinkle with water and caster sugar and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the rhubarb from the oven. Sprinkle over the ginger and mix well.
- Fill an ovenproof dish about 4cm/11⁄2in deep with the rhubarb.
- Rub the butter into the flour and sugar to make the crumble topping. Sprinkle this over the rhubarb and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until the crumble topping is crisp and golden- brown and the rhubarb filling has softened and is bubbling.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving, and serve with a dallop of low fat Greek style yoghurt.
Last updated Wednesday 30 June 2021
First published on Monday 7 September 2015