Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
Under general anaesthetic your surgeon will move your stiff joint to a full range of motion, stretching the surrounding muscles and freeing the joint capsule.
What is manipulation under anaesthesia?
Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA) is a minimally invasive surgical procedure which aims to relieve chronic pain and reduce the stiffness in your joints. Joints such as knees, hips, shoulders or toes sometimes become stiff and painful.
The pain can be due to muscle spasms, adhesions (internal scarring) from previous injury or surgery, joint misalignment or joint capsule inflammation such as frozen shoulder.
Manipulation under general anaesthetic (MUA) is often recommended when conservative physiotherapy treatment has failed to treat the joint affected.
What happens during MUA?
- MUA is usually performed under general anaesthetic. Sometimes local or spinal anaesthetic is used
- Your anaesthetist will discuss what method will be used with you
- The procedure takes about 20 minutes
- Your surgeon will move your stiff joint to a full range of motion – stretching the surrounding muscles and freeing the joint capsule. They may inject local anaesthetic for post-operative pain
- MUA is usually done as a day case meaning you will be able to go home once you have recovered from the anaesthetic.
Going home after MUA
- You will not be able to drive so please arrange for someone to take you home when you are discharged
- You may experience swelling in the joint in the first weeks of recovery
- Rest, ice and elevate the limb if possible
- Take over the counter pain medication if needed
- Once the swelling has decreased you should experience greater ease in movement
- Your consultant may refer you for physiotherapy so that you can maintain your range of motion.
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
Shenfield Road, Brentwood, CM15 8EH
Brighton01273 624 488
Warren Road, Brighton, BN2 6DX
Bristol0117 906 4870
3 Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1BN
Cambridge01223 370 922
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Cardiff and Vale02920 836700
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
Cheltenham01242 246 552
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 6SY
Chester01244 680 444
Wrexham Road, Chester, CH4 7QP
Rykneld Road, Derby, DE23 4SN
Exeter01392 276 591
Wonford Road, Exeter, EX2 4UG
Glasgow0141 334 9441
25 Beaconsfield Road, Glasgow, G12 0PJ
Guildford01483 555 800
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Haywards Heath01444 456999
Burrell Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1UD
Hereford01432 355 131
Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DF
Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP4 5SW
Leeds0113 388 2111
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Leicester0116 276 9401
Scraptoft Lane, Leicester, LE5 1HY
Newcastle upon Tyne01912 816 131
Clayton Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 1JP
North Staffordshire01782 382551
Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 4DB
Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7RP
Plymouth01752 775 861
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Shrewsbury01743 282 500
Longden Road, Shrewsbury, SY3 9DP
Taunton01823 286 991
Staplegrove Elm, Taunton, TA2 6AN
Tees01642 360 100
Junction Road, Norton, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1PX
Tunbridge Wells01892 531 111
Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 4UL
The Chase, Old Milverton Lane, Leamington Spa, CV32 6RW
Wessex02380 266 377
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
Shores Road, Woking, GU21 4BY
Wolverhampton01902 793 269
Wood Road, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 8LE
York01904 715 000
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Get in touch
Fill in an enquiry form below or call us
A member of the team will respond to you soon.