Vasectomy reversal surgery in Guildford
At Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital you can get rapid access to vasectomy reversal surgery which is performed by our experienced urological surgeons in our state-of-the-art medical facility. Read more…
Contact our men's health experts in Guildford
Fill in the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Why choose Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital for your vasectomy reversal surgery?
If you are a man whose personal circumstances have changed and you are considering a vasectomy reversal, our expert urology consultants at Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital are here to help. They have a great track record of successful outcomes from their vasectomy reversal procedures, employing the most modern techniques.
Our experienced urological surgeons are well supported by our attentive matron-led nursing team who pride themselves on ensuring comfort and first class clinical support. Since our recent £8m hospital refurbishment, all of our individual patient rooms feature a contemporary design with large en-suite bathrooms, flat screen televisions and WiFi internet access. This all contributes to an exceptionally pleasant stay.
What happens during vasectomy reversal surgery
- Vasectomy reversal is performed under general anaesthetic
- It usually takes between an 1 hour - 1.5 hours
- During a vasectomy the vas deferen tubes are cut preventing sperm from leaving the epididymis
- To reverse this procedure your surgeon in Guildford will locate the site of your vasectomy
- They will usually make cuts on each side of your scrotum
- After examining each testicle they will free up the tubes and remove any scar tissue
- Using a special microscope they will stitch the ends of the tubes back together
- They will close the surgical wounds with stitches.
After vasectomy reversal surgery at Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital
- You should be able to go home the day of your procedure but you should arrange for someone to drive you
- Take over the counter pain relief such as Paracetamol if you have any discomfort, as advised by the clinical team
- You should avoid any strenuous activity or heavy lifting for at least 3 weeks after your surgery
- Gentle walking may speed your recovery
- Please discuss any return to work with your consultant
- About 6 - 8 weeks after your surgery you will need to return to our clinic to give a semen sample
- We will examine the sample for sperm
- If no sperm are present or your sperm count is very low we may ask you to return for another test at a later date.
General complications could include:
- Infection in the surgical wound
Specific complications of a vasectomy reversal could include:
- Long term pain
- Bleeding within the scrotum
- Damage to blood vessel
- Scar tissue causing the tubes to block
- Failure to restore fertility.