At Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital, our expert cosmetic surgeons specialise in facelift surgery. Find out if this procedure is right for you?
Why choose Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital for your facelift surgery?
At Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital our experienced cosmetic surgeons are experts when it comes to facelift surgery. By choosing us you will be given the luxury of a treatment plan completely tailored to you and your desired outcome for surgery. You will also receive the advice and support from one of our consultant cosmetic surgeons through every step of your journey.
Undergoing any form of cosmetic surgery is a serious decision, that's why any patient at Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital must have a full consultation with one of our cosmetic surgeons before going through with surgery.
You can also attend one of our free cosmetic open events, where you will get the opportunity to meet one of our cosmetic surgeons in person and ask any questions you may have about the surgery you are interested in.
Please note that attending an open event at our Guildford Hospital does not replace a consultation. You will still need to book a full consultation before proceeding with any treatment to ensure you make an informed choice.
What happens during a facelift?
A facelift is usually performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes between two - three hours. The surgical technique will depend on what area is being lifted. There are three main types of "lift" performed at Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital.
- SMAS facelift - Your surgeon will make an incision on both sides of your face in the hairline around your ears. They will cut under the deeper layer of tough tissue (superficial musculo-aponeurotic system or SMAS layer), lifting and tightening it. Your surgeon will then tighten the skin towards your ears and remove any excess skin.
- MACS facelift - The MACS (Minimal Access Cranial Suspension) face lift involves a smaller incision eliminating any scarring behind the ear. Your surgeon will tighten the SMAS layer with special suspension stitches to avoid cutting underneath it. MACS face lift involves less surgery but the results may not last as long as an SMAS facelift.
- Mid-facelift - A mid facelift addresses the area below your lower eyelids over the cheekbone. Your surgeon will make small cuts along your hairline and either inside your mouth or in your lower eyelid. They will use special surgical instruments and stitches to lift the cheeks.
- Once you have recovered from the anaesthetic, you will be encouraged to sit up in bed, sitting upright will help to reduce some of the swelling
- Your face is likely to feel tight and tender around the ears. However, there should not be any severe pain and this will be controlled with simple analgesia
- You may feel drowsy following surgery. Expect to wake up and doze off for the remainder of the day
- You may have a bandage around your head and under your chin after surgery. We will remove it the day after your surgery
- Small, thin tubes (drains) may be temporarily inserted in the wounds
- You are likely to stay in hospital overnightYou may be given a support garment to wear after your bandages are removed.
What happens during a mini facelift?
A mini facelift is usually performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes between 1 and 2 hours. Your surgeon will numb the area in front or just behind your ears. They will make a few small incisions in front or behind your ears and (depending on the extent of lift needed) along your hairline. They will extend and tighten the skin where needed. Your wounds will be closed using very fine stitches.
Going home after your facelift surgery at Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital
- You may experience swelling and bruising following your face lift
- You may feel tightness when opening your mouth
- Your surgeon may ask you to sleep upright for the first few days to keep swelling under control
- Stitches can be removed after 10 to 14 days
- Be sure and discuss your return to work with your surgeon
- At around four weeks you will be feeling more like your “normal” self
- However the full effect of a facelift may not be visible for 6 to 9 months after the procedure.
A guide to the stages of recovery post facelift surgery:
Days 1 - 4
- Swelling is at its worst days 2 and 3 after surgery
- Sleep upright in bed supported by pillows. Icepacks will be soothing
- Wear any support garment as instructed
- Take things easy for now.
5 - 14 days
- Gradually increase your activity but nothing too strenuous
- Light housework and gentle walks are fine
- Stitches around the ear will be removed.
- Any remaining staples will be removed
- You can think About returning to work after two weeks
- Continue to Wear support garment at night.
- All the visible swelling and bruising should have gone by now
- Should be able to remove any support garment
- Restart any exercise you do.
6 - 9 months
- Scars will soften and fade
- Final result can begin to be judged.
Whilst complications are rare, there are a few risk factors to consider when proceeding with your facelift surgery. These include:
- Loss of skin or hair
- Developing a collection of blood under the skin
- Developing pale or dark areas on your face
- Damage to the facial nerve
- Cosmetic problems.
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Please enter our full address into your satnav/phone GPS when travelling to our hospital, using the postcode alone may take you to the back of the hospital where there is no patient parking. To find the main entrance and car park please enter Stirling Road via Occam Road.
|Initial consultation||from £165|
|Diagnostics||If needed to determine treatment plan|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£7,565|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more