Vascular Surgery at Edinburgh Hospital
We offer fast access to appointments with Consultant Vascular Surgeons for the assessment, diagnosis and management of health problems relating to your arteries, veins and lymphatic system.
Our vascular diagnostic services, include:
- assessment of venous insufficiency
- laudication assessment (a type of leg pain caused by narrowing of the blood vessels in the legs)
- deep venous thrombosis risk assessment
- detection of abdominal aortic aneurysm and management
- fistula assessment in kidney disease
- lymphoedema assessment (swelling in the body caused by fluid retention)
- stroke assessment due to carotid disease
Once diagnosis has been made patients can move onto assessment and treatment.
Our consultants offer assessment and treatment for the following conditions:
- varicose veins
- thread and spider veins
- arteriovenous fistula for dialysis
What happens during my consultation?
Your consultant will discuss your medical history with you and carry out a physical assessment and arrange any diagnostic tests necessary. These tests may include ultrasound conducted by consultant interventional Radiologists for subspecialist vascular imaging.
Your consultant can also arrange blood testing for further investigation of any vascular health concerns. If treatment is recommended, surgical procedures can be carried out in our on-site day-case operating theatre.
How do I arrange an appointment?
You can self-refer to private varicose veins treatment if you choose to self-pay. All other vascular consultation and treatment requires a GP referral.